Home News ECU aim for record numbers at tonight’s carol service

ECU aim for record numbers at tonight’s carol service

Over three thousand students, local residents and visitors are expected to attend the annual Exeter Christian Union (ECU) carol service. It will take place on tonight (Monday 8 December) at St James’ Park Stadium from 7pm until 8pm.

One of the biggest carol services in the UK, the event is free to attend and open to everyone. Mince pies will also be provided and there will be performances from a local primary school, the University Soul Choir, Semi-Toned and the Sweet Nothings.

Rachael Gillies, the Students’ Guild President, will be doing a reading and there will be a short talk from Lindsay Brown. The Lord Mayor Percy Prowse is also expected to attend.

Image Credit: Exeter University ECU
Image Credit: Exeter University ECU

In 2002, ECU staged their very first Christmas Carol Service in the Great Hall, with a capacity of 800. The first year in the stadium drew a crowd of 2,200, and this figure continues to grow today, standing at around 3,000 and affording it the title of largest carol service in the South West.

Chris Wells, final year International Relations and French student and ECU member, said: “This for me is one of the highlights of the student calendar, although of course it’s much more than a student event. What makes it so special is the whole city coming together to celebrate and enjoy the beginning of the Christmas season together.

“All are welcome, we would love to see absolutely everyone in Exeter there. You get a free mince pie on arrival, a rowdy sing-along to your favourite carols and a chance to get thinking about Christmas. We want to make this the biggest in the UK.”

Laura-Jane Tiley, Online News Editor