Home News University signs Time To Change pledge today

University signs Time To Change pledge today

493

Exeter University is set to sign the Time to Change pledge to challenge mental heath stigma and discrimination.

Professor Janice Kay, University Provost, will officially sign the campaign pledge in the Forum Street on 10 December.

With mental health affecting one in four people, Time to Change is England’s biggest programme to challenge its accompanying stigma and discrimination.

Launched in January 2009, the campaign is run by the leading health charities Mind and Rethink Mental Illness. According to the Time to Change website 73,583 people have signed the pledge.

Time to Change aims to change behaviours and attitudes towards mental health through high profile marketing and media campaigns, together with community activity. They also run a £2.7m grants scheme to fund grassroots projects, led by people with mental health problems, encouraging people to engage in meaningful conversations about mental health.

They commission an annual survey asking public representatives questions about their knowledge, attitudes and intended behaviour towards those with mental health. The progress of the campaign is then measured by the Institute of Psychiatry at King’s College London.

Exeter’s involvement with the campaign is a direct result of the “No health without mental health” Challenge in 2014’s Grand Challenges programme.

A third year student said: “anything challenging discrimination must be a good thing.”

Sarah Gough, Arts Editor