Home News BLS president raises over £2,200 for Cancer Research UK

BLS president raises over £2,200 for Cancer Research UK

Neil Tanna, President of Bracton Law Society, raised over £2,255 for Cancer Research UK by shaving his hair off. Raising over £600 on the final day on fundraising, he more than doubled his original target of £1,000

On Thursday 11 December, he went bald with the help of his housemates in a bid to raise money for the charity and increase awareness for cancer sufferers. On the night, Neil’s closest friends shaved his hair off whilst he skyped his parents and sister.

He commented: ‘I cannot express my gratitude enough to everyone that supported me, but especially my housemates who have been behind me every step of the way. I was really nervous right before the shave but am delighted with the sum raised – it was 100% worth it!’

Image Credit: Rhian Bethell
Image Credit: Rhian Bethell

When asked about the cause, the third year law student said: “To me, this is personal. I could’ve done other things, like running a marathon or jumping off a bridge on a bungee, but I chose to shave my hair. I know how important hair is to people, their self-image and social life, and watching my mum struggle when she lost her hair as a result of chemotherapy was a painful experience for me.” Tanna’s mother eventually survived breast cancer.

Macmillan estimates that over 100,000 adults a year are diagnosed with cancer and over 700,000 UK adults are living with the disease.

When asked why people should support his cause, he added: “We will beat cancer, and I hope fundraising efforts such as this will help it come around quicker.”

Harrison Jones, Editor, and Laura-Jane Tiley, Online News Editor