Home Global Football 2014 Sporting Highlights: Part 2

2014 Sporting Highlights: Part 2

1147

As the sporting year of 2014 draws to close, the Exeposé sport team relive their individual highlights of the past 12 months. Here’s Part Two:

The Chiefs won their first major silverware in 2014, with a 15-8 victory against Northampton Saints. Photo Credit: Telegraph

Lara Hopkins: Sports Team- Chiefs secure first ever major silverware

Exeter Chiefs’ LV Cup triumph was an historic moment in the club’s history that signified a coming of age for their 2013 U20 World Cup winning players. Although aided by senior members of the squad the youngsters made up the core of the team and the experience this win gave them has shone through this year, enabling the Devon side to close out games which would have evaded them last season. Hopefully, this event will spur the Chiefs to new heights, a top four finish and maybe some even greater silverware in 2015.

Lewis Gregory: Sports Team- Exeter Demons playoff success

To say that choosing my 2014 sporting moment of the year was difficult would be a blatant lie. As an avid American football fan, the Superbowl would be too obvious a choice. And why not? After the Seattle Seahawks completely dismantled the number one offence in the NFL and all but put the game to bed by half time, Superbowl XLVIII is a tough sporting moment to top in 2014.

However, if there’s one team that could top that game for me, it would be our very own Exeter Demons. For the second time in their five year history, the Demons had progressed to the BUCS Plate Championship playoffs, their first opponent? Defending champions; NTU Renegades.

The Exeter Demons defied the odds to defeat reigning BUCS champions NTU Renegades with this last minute touchdown. Photo Credit: Exeter Demons

The two teams had never met before but with NTU narrowly missing the National Championships due to a very competitive division, much of the American football community had the Renegades picked for an easy win over the Demons and a breeze into the finals.

However, the Demons had other plans. Playoff fever took over and after an impressive offensive performance and stingy defensive play, the Demons pulled off the biggest upset of the year knocking off the defending Champions 29-28 with a Touchdown on the last play of the game.

It really was the only moment that could possibly have topped a historic Superbowl. A true underdog story, a miracle upset, and without a shadow of a doubt, my No. 1 Sporting Moment of 2014.

Ted Mahon: Sports Team- Sochi Winter Olympics

Whilst the snow and slopes and Sochi may seem like a long time ago, the 2014 Winter Olympic Games was undoubtedly one of the sporting highlights from the last twelve months. Great Britain picked up four medals, surpassing all expectations. It kicked off with Lizzy Yarnold’s gold medal in the women’s skeleton, closely followed by Jenny Jones’s bronze medal in the women’s snowboard slopesytle.

The UK went Curling mad at the start of 2014. Photo Credit: Independent

And then there was the curling. My goodness did the UK go wild for this sport, in which Britain gained silver and bronze medals in the men’s and women’s competitions respectively. Soothing Scottish screams of “harder” was the highlight of the games which captivated the public from day one. Whether it was the exhilarating skiing or stylish snowboarding, the fought-knit speed skating or the brutal ice hockey, Sochi had something for everyone. There were questions raised before the event as to whether a Winter Olympics was needed. Surely any doubts have been quashed. The fact that there was considerable focus at the recent Sports Personality of the Year highlights the excitement surrounding Sochi. It may not have been phenomenal year for British sport, but the winter disciplines certainly did their bit to display British sporting talent.

Nadine Sammy: Sports Team- Trinidadian shot-put star

Trinidadian shot-put star Cleo Borel returned to winning ways this year. Photo Credit: IAAF.org

My sporting highlight of the year is the performance of a seasoned Trinidad and Tobago athlete at the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Games this November in Mexico. Olympian Cleopatra Borel won gold in the shot-put with a distance of 18.99 metres. Cleo’s dedication to her training and performance is second to none. She never hesitates to interact with youth athletes offering guidance and motivation along the way. Her successful performance is truly illustrative of how commitment and hard work pay off and can bolster national pride. Well done Cleo!

Freddie Turner: Online Sport Editor – Leicester City 5- 3 Manchester United

As a long suffering Leicester City fan, the majority of this year has been an absolute pleasure. The Foxes romped to the Championship title with 102 points and returned to the top flight for the first time in over a decade. This alone is reason to celebrate and although immediate relegation now appears imminent, the whole debacle was perhaps worth it for one afternoon of giant-killing drama.

On September 21st, Louis Van Gaal’s Manchester United came to the King Power Stadium with a squad packed full of attacking flair. Van Persie, Di Maria, Rooney, Falcao et al were expected to run rampant around the likes of journeymen Paul Konchesky and Wes Morgan. Initially this prophecy appeared correct as Di Maria starred to put United 3-1 up.

Former non-league striker Jamie Vardy enjoyed a fairtyale afternoon. Photo Credit: The Guardian
Former non-league striker Jamie Vardy enjoyed a fairytale afternoon against United. Photo Credit: The Guardian

However, aided by some woeful United defending Leicester produced a comeback of ‘Take-That’ proportions. Jamie Vardy ran riot up front, whilst experienced maestro Esteban Cambiasso began to pull the strings in the midfield. Four unanswered goals gave Leicester a famous victory and me the bragging rights over those plastic Surrey United ‘fans’ that seem to have infested Exeter.  This memory alone will give me some comfort next year during those late nights’ watching the Football League Show.

If you missed it, here is Part 1 of our Sporting Highlights: http://exepose.com/2014-sporting-highlights-part-1/