Home News Exeter research branded “internationally excellent”

Exeter research branded “internationally excellent”

459
Image credit: Exeter.ac.uk
Image credit: Exeter.ac.uk

98% of research produced by Exeter University is of international quality, according to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, with 82% of research rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.

This evaluation of research quality is the first since 2008, where Exeter has risen from 56% for world-leading research.

The University has also been ranked 16th nationally, taking account of the proportion of staff submitted.

Exeter has also been placed as first in the South West, joint 19th nationally and 18th in the Russell Group.

Three subjects ranked in the top five nationally, eight in the top ten, and roughly 80%, including Biological Sciences, Medicine, Physics, and Engineering, have been placed in the top 20.

Exeter performed particularly well in humanities and social science subjects, and has been recognised for research in physical and life sciences, including entering the assessment for Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences for the first time.

Exeter’s Penryn campus also performed well, where all subjects increased in quality from 2008.

Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Professor Nick Talbot said: “This is a very good set of results for Exeter with some excellent performances. We have a growing reputation now as a science powerhouse which has been greatly enhanced by our collaborations with the Met Office, for example, and links with local and national industrial partners.”

Theology is ranked as second in the UK, the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies third, and Politics number five.

Tallbot continued: “REF2014 confirms Exeter as a centre of excellence for research, which has impact both regionally and nationally. It is great news for the regional economy and our staff deserve great credit for their hard work. We are an ambitious university and this is a fantastic platform for our future development as a world-leading centre for scholarship and education.”

Rachel Gelormini, Online News Editor