Home Lifestyle Fitness and Wellbeing 5 Warm Winter Breakfasts to Start Your Day

5 Warm Winter Breakfasts to Start Your Day

Carmen Paddock gives us her top 5 warm winter breakfasts to get you up and out the door on those chilly mornings…. 

Lacking motivation to wake up on the cold, rainy, and blustery days of an Exeter January? These five tasty and (mostly) healthy breakfasts may inspire you to get out of bed! Some are quick, some take some time – some serve a crowd, some just one student’s appetite – and all are deliciously worth it.

American-Style Pancakes with Yoghurt and Cinnamon (serves 3-4, but keeps very well as leftovers)

Photo Credit: dailyburn.com
Photo Credit: dailyburn.com

250g plain flour (whole wheat to make it extra healthy!)

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

600ml milk

1 125ml container Greek-style yoghurt (either vanilla or plain)

1 Tbsp vanilla extract

2 Tbsp honey

Whisk the first four (dry) ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the remaining (wet) ingredients and then add to the dry mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined but do not over-stir – this will make the batter heavy!

Heat a flat-bottomed skillet (well coated with butter) over medium-high heat. Using a ladle, spoon the batter into rounds into the pan and let them cook until bubbles start to appear on the top and the bottom appears fully set (do not try to flip before this – it will not work!). Flip and cook until the new bottom looks fully set, about 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat, put on a plate, and repeat the cooking until the batter is all gone. Serve with more yoghurt, honey, syrup, compote, fresh fruit, cream… the possibilities are endless!

Oat Bran Muffins (makes about 12)

Photo Credit: zomppa.com
Photo Credit: zomppa.com

225g oat bran

30g flour

50g sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

250ml milk

1 egg

60ml honey

2 Tbsp melted butter (or applesauce to make it extra healthy)

Optional: raisins, mashed banana, chopped apple, nuts

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C / gas 7 and prepare (grease or line) a muffin tray. Combine the first five (dry) ingredients in a large bowl, and then in a smaller bowl combine the last four (wet) ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and combine well, but do not over-mix. If using any optional ingredients, add at this stage. Fill the muffin tins and bake 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with butter, jam, honey, or on their own – they’re scrumptious any way you have them.

Huevos Rancheros (serves 1, but can be doubled)

Photo Credit: skinny taste.com
Photo Credit: skinny taste.com

1-2 eggs

half a 400g can of black beans, drained

1/4 avocado, diced

20g cheese, grated

2-3 Tbsp tomato salsa

1-2 tortilla wraps (depending on size)

Toppings (optional): hot sauce, fresh coriander

Heat the beans in a microwave-safe container for until steaming. Place the tortillas on a place and cover with the beans, cheese, avocado, and salsa (in that order). In a skillet, scramble or fry the eggs (whatever suits you); when done add them to the place. Top with hot sauce and/or coriander and devour!

Peanut Butter Porridge (serves 1)

Photo Credit: Pinterest

50g porridge oats

150ml milk

about 200ml water (or more if a thinner porridge is desired)

1-2 Tbsp honey

1-2 Tbsp peanut butter

Combine the first three ingredients in a microwave-save bowl and heat until boiling. Stir occasionally to prevent lumps. When cooked and thickened, add the honey and peanut butter and enjoy! (Alternately, you can cook this on the stove, but that requires more clean-up.)

Cheese Grits from the American South (serves 1 but can be increased)

This classic from the American South – where polenta is called corn grits – is delightfully satisfying.

50g polenta

200-250ml water or milk

50g cheese of choice, grated

Generous amounts of salt and pepper

Optional toppings: hot sauce, green onions, bacon

Bring the water to a boil on the stove, then add the polenta (stirring while pouring so lumps don’t form). Stir constantly for the first few minutes and then occasionally after that. When the mixture thickens and the grains soften, about 8-12 minutes, it’s done. If it thickens too much, add more water. Right before taking the mixture off the heat, add the cheese and stir to combine (the cheese will melt almost instantly). Salt and pepper liberally and serve with any (or none) of the toppings.

Carmen Paddock