Home Comment The timetable changes will impact music societies most

The timetable changes will impact music societies most

THE breadth and diversity of music at Exeter was one of the main selling points for me when applying to universities, as it was for many other people I have met.

Being a part of the music community has given me some of the most rewarding and memorable experiences during my time at university.

One example of music’s contribution to the University is War Song, Extunes’ collaborative event that marked the centenary of World War One.

Changes to the teaching hours were never going to appeal to eve-ryone. No one likes having to get up half an hour earlier and leav-ing campus after dark. However, to jeopardise music is a mistake. Sev-eral societies will be affected by the change, forcing them to push their rehearsals back or have members turning up late each week, both of which will have a detrimental im-pact.

For a university with wellbeing supposedly at the top of their agenda, it is essential that they realise what contributes towards it. Music offers the chance to make friends, de-stress and be creative outside of our academic pursuits.

Our University has the largest non-academic music department in the country, reflected in Extunes’ 1400-strong membership.

Bearing in mind that our mu-sic department was shut down ten years ago, the University should be proud of its students’ efforts to re-establish a music presence, rather than directly interfering with their progress. The late teaching hours will do exactly that.

Imogen Proctor

Clarinet Choir President