Home Music Features Best new music: 2015’s ones to watch

Best new music: 2015’s ones to watch

2259

Online Editor Callum Burroughs delves into the depths of the Internet to tell you about the best new artists to look out for in 2015. Because we are so tech-savvy, you can click on the bands’ names and go straight to an online streaming profile of theirs!

Raury 

Atlanta born and bred, Raury Tullis has already made musical waves with his appearance with the track ‘Higher’ on SBTRKT’s critically acclaimed LP last year with big hopes for the year ahead. His fast talking, sun-hat wearing ways have put him on the BBC’s sound of 2015 shortlist. He’s noted his calling to musical stardom through his debut track ‘God’s Whisper’, as well as the aforementioned ‘Higher’, a brash and meaningful indication of what’s to come from this talented rapper. He plans to drop an album this year following 2014’s ‘Indigo Child’, the title perhaps a hint to the confidence exhibited by a young musician full of promise.

Wolf Alice 

It may seem odd including North London’s Wolf Alice on the bill, as for many 2014 was their breakout year with the Blush, and Creature Songs EPs floating through many a speaker. Capped off by their performance at Exeter’s cavern it seemed like a zenith had been reached, however, with a debut album expected this year it seems like last year’s hype will be maintained. Oscillating between folky pop tracks to more indie and alternative numbers, a lot will be expected of a band who describe their own sound as ‘rocky pop’. Their artistic flexibility and amazing live shows may see them crowned as the best thing to look out for in 2015, give a listen to ‘Moaning Lisa Blows’ and the breakout track ‘Bros’.

Menace Beach

Included mostly for having the best name of the year, don’t be fooled, Leeds based Menace Beach have an album ‘Ratworld’ out later this month, which could potentially be a very cool record. Airtime on 6 music this year and last, as well as a session with veteran DJ and former the Fall member Marc Riley hints at bigger things. Creative control seems vested with Hookworm’s MJ and despite the current lack of an album they have been touted by NME and the Guardian as ones to watch. Seemingly notable for having a rotating door of established musicians, the most impressive thing is actually their sound with the excellent ‘Tastes Like Medicine’ and the hazey near 90s revivalist track ‘Drop Outs’ of particular mention.

Hinds (formerly Deers)

Manic garage pop chicas, Deers hail from Madrid and have an infectious sound that is at once raucous and planned, sounding like a rickety cross between a Strokes track and Velvet Underground session recording. Taking this year’s blogspot for cool all girl band, there is more to Deers than just hype, tracks like ‘Castigadas en el Granero’ and ‘Bamboo’ express real energy and fill cold January evenings with a sense of youthful electricity. With EPs ‘Demo’ and ‘Barn’ already out, more is expected from them, so keep your ears peeled for Deers.

Kwabs  

Another perennial lurker in blogs across the country, South Londoner Kwabs has already received massive praise following his performance on Jools Holland last year, combined with a soulful sound that extends to massive hooks, his music demonstrates a variety that won’t see him pigeonholed as a mainstream singer. (Although admittedly the brilliant track ‘Walk’ may be featured on a certain FIFA 15 soundtrack.) Potentially part of the ‘Synth&b’ movement which has earmarked fellow artists Sampha and Azekel, much is expected from the Bermondsey baritone. Check out ‘Saved’ and his awesome cover of James Blake’s ‘The Wilhelm Scream’.

Shura 

London via Moscow producer, Shura is already able to boast of a youtube video with more than 5 million views after the success of her first major track ‘Touch’. The chilled out, post-break up tune had many excited about the possibilities of her melodic RnB reimagining’s. Listen out for ‘Indecision’ and ‘Just Once’ a breathy track which touches on infatuation and drinking against a backdrop of light Caribbean rhythms, wonderful.

Lapsley 

At only 18 Lapsley’s potential is undeniable, the Southport born electronic artist has already released an EP in 2015, the beautiful ‘Understudy’, which at once entrances and beguiles. Passed on by appreciative listeners, her voice is nigh on angelic and merges perfectly into the cleverly constructed synths which envelop her already excellent sound. Her electro pop tunes have already earned glowing reviews and it appears that further opportunities will inevitably come for this talented Merseysider.

Vaults 

Electro pioneers Vaults are a bit of an unknown entity heading into 2015, however, infectious tunes like ‘Lifespan’ and ‘Poison’ capture their fascinating sound which incorporates a multitude of instruments. Particularly impressive are their meaningful, dreamy lyrics which sees them move between the ambient and more conventional electro pop with a whimsical ease. Haunting and twinkling, check out the track ‘Vultures’ which also has a pretty mental music video (watch out for the girl with the afro smashing eggs against her head).

Callum Burroughs, Online Editor