Home Screen Reviews Review: The 100

Review: The 100

E4’s answer to The Hunger Games returns for series 2. Eleanor Johnson assesses whether this series of The 100 looks to be as great as the last. 

Jason Rothenberg’s The 100 delves into a world unexplored by television. Fast-paced and seat gripping, this Sci-Fi drama brings much more to the table than first thought.

Set three generations after a nuclear war, the series centres on one hundred delinquent teenagers sent from a space station to the ground to test if it is viable for life. Soon they are fighting against the ‘grounders’ and demonstrating the limits of their morality.

Image Credit: Hollywood Reporter
Image Credit: Hollywood Reporter

Although the show initially seemed like a weak attempt to emulate The Hunger Games, by episode four The 100 got serious. Since then it has gone from strength to strength, following their fight for survival and continuously delivering violent and shocking action, while remaining conscious of the consequences of war.

Now with season 2 returning to the UK with a vengeance, it’s time to re-examine The 100’s merits.

The season premiere sees the character’s separated. Clarke, who was last left in quarantine, aims to uncover the motives behind Mount Weather’s suspicious hospitality, while the few not kidnapped remain fighting for their lives in an on-going war against the grounders.

Last season we saw the characters stoop to torture in the name of survival, so it begs the question: how far will The 100 go? A long way the premiere seems to promise, as three minutes in and Clarke is already holding sharp glass to a young girl’s throat.

Image Credit: tv.com
Image Credit: tv.com

And still the series remains fixated on consequences.

In a poignant scene from the season 2 premiere, Jasper and Clarke confront their decision to burn the grounders – and possibly their friends – outside the dropship: “I’m the one that fired the rockets, should I not have done that?”  It’s an important question and a demonstration of what is to come. The series seems determined to drive home the emotional impact of war, a message this season already seems hinged on.

Yet even with the series’ more touching developments, the episode’s message is clear: season 2 will be bigger and better than ever.