Home Global Football Premier League’s Best

Premier League’s Best

1089

Who is the best player in the Premier League? We have drawn up a five man shortlist of the likely candidates but have we missed anyone out? Have your say with our poll:

Premier League talent was seemingly shunned once again at this year’s Ballon D’Or awards, with only one player making the World XI. However, there is clearly still a multitude of World Class talent on show in the most competitive league in the world. Here are perhaps the five best, although I am sure many will disagree:

Aguero is the deadliest striker in the league. Photo Credit: Sky Sports

Sergio Aguero

The Argentinian striker is amongst the best strikers in the world. Despite an injury blighted season this campaign, he has still registered 19 goals in all competitions. His clinical finishing, footballing brain and rapid acceleration make him consistently the deadliest goal scoring threat in the league. In his four seasons at Manchester City, he has scored 66 goals in just 87 starts. This includes perhaps the most famous goal in Premier League history which gave the Sky Blues their first title…..Aguerooooo!

The young Belgian appears to be playing better than ever currently. Photo Credit: Telegraph

Eden Hazard

The silky Belgian is a true advocate of the beautiful game. With a rapid turn of pace, supreme ball control and wonderful vision, Hazard is can be a joy to behold. He is perhaps the standout player, in a Chelsea side tipped for the title. Naturally under Mourinho his all round game has improved, with an increased work-rate and defensive discipline, making him practically a complete footballer. However, his trophy cabinet is relatively meagre with only a solitary Europa League to his name during his time at Chelsea. Can he therefore be considered the best in the league?

Toure's athleticism is second to none. Photo Credit: Express
Toure’s athleticism is second to none. Photo Credit: Express

Yaya Toure

Like Aguero, Toure is a two time Premier league winner. His athleticism, tenacity and range of passing make him most probably the best midfielder in the League. His rampaging runs from box to box, allow City to turn defence into attack like no other side in the League. What has perhaps impressed most during his time in England, is his knack of making a big impact during the most important games. Against other top quality sides, Toure is often the standout player. When on song, he is a genuine match winner and a worthy candidate.

Di Maria enjoyed a stellar 2014. Photo Credit: Independent

Angel Di Maria

Although having only been in England for less than five months, Di Maria has already had a chance to showcase his Champions League winning talent at Old Trafford. The Premier League record signing is the only player that the 2014 Fifa Pro World XI. His skillset make him one of the most potent threats in world football, with the ability to beat players with mazy runs and killer through balls. This made him appear a deserved holder of the famous no.7 jersey at United. However after a quick start, Di Maria has failed to light up the league in the past couple of months, as his statistics show. He has only registered 4 goals in 16 games and perhaps cannot justify this accolade on that form?

Alexis has shone at the Emirates since his arrival. Photo Credit: Sky Sports

Alexis Sanchez

The Chilean is also playing in his first Premier League campaign and has taken to the league like the proverbial duck to water. The £35 million man has comfortably been Arsenal standout player this campaign with 12 goals. He has produced a number of match winning performances, which has already made him a fans favourite in North London. His work rate and energy is second to none, which means he very rarely has a quiet game. If his current form persists, the ex Barca man may become a legend for the gunners.

The Others

There remains a glut of other candidates for this accolade. With the likes of Diego Costa, David Silva, Cesc Fabregas, Christian Eriksen, Morgan Schneiderlin and Wayne Rooney all seemingly at the pinnacle of their talents, consistently showcasing their World Class ability. Meanwhile although perhaps unsurprisingly the list has focused on attacking talent, many defensive minded players are equally influential. The best of these are perhaps: David De Gea, Vincent Kompany and Nemanja Matic who all consistently play a pivotal role for their respective clubs.

Freddie Turner- Online Sport Editor