Home Music Album Reviews EP Review: Milk Teeth – Sad Sack

EP Review: Milk Teeth – Sad Sack

James Atherton sinks his teeth into this new E.P.

Sad Sack E.P.

Milk Teeth

January 26th 2015

Since the release of their first E.P Smiling Politely last year, which introduced them as one of the very best and most talented alternative bands in the UK, Milk Teeth have been playing exhilarating live shows whilst gathering a large underground fan base akin to that built by fellow Venn Records label mates Baby Godzilla, Marmozets, Moose Blood et al. On their second E.P. Sad Sack, Milk Teeth hone their frantic and explosive raw sound into 21 minutes of songs that will delight fans of grunge music, both young and old.

The E.P. opener ‘Vitamins’ shows Milk Teeth at their most accessible and melodic. It’s easy to see with this song why Venn Records were so keen to sign them at the start of last year and so swiftly released this song. It’s a great track that sees vocalist and bassist Becky sing sweetly and catchy fuzzy guitar riff and frantic drumming.

The second song ‘Melon Blade’ kicks off with a simple clean guitar riff before launching straight into the brilliantly written chorus of “so I’ll just eat the moon, with nothing more than a crooked spoon.” The sensitivity of the last verse of this song, where vocalist Becky and Josh do a Sonic Youth-style, haunting call-and-response to each other, muttering that they are “just a boy” and “just a girl”, and “still feel pain” and both “cried last night” is astoundingly beautiful and a highlight of the E.P.

The lyrics and sounds of third track ‘Linda’ evoke the same relatability that made grunge so popular in the first place. If grunge was the pissed off reaction to 1980s rock music and Reagan & Thatcher, ultimately representing the disenfranchisement felt by the youth of ‘Generation X’ in the 1990s, then this song feels like an excellent, pissed-off reaction to the disenfranchisement felt whilst  growing up today. Becky softly sings in the chorus that her “youth is wasted” whilst Josh venomously growls that “we’re all liars here, your youth is rotten to the core”. The contrasting tones of the two vocalists complement the best features of their individual voices perfectly.

The last song on the E.P. ‘Trampoline’ is another well-written track which sees the band jump from desolate sounding clean guitar verse to their trademark noisy chorus which closes the record in spectacular fashion. The wailing guitar solo at the end of this track also highlights the versatility and skills of lead guitarist Chris.

On their second E.P., Milk Teeth have done something very few bands manage to pull off successfully. They have taken a pre-existing formula and made it sound incredibly original and unique, despite changing very little from the original ingredients that made the genre so popular in the 1990s. This is a sign of intent from a band who are undoubtedly going see their reputation and popularity skyrocket as a result of this fantastic release.

James Atherton