Home Screen Previews Preview: Fasten Your Seatbelts for 2015

Preview: Fasten Your Seatbelts for 2015

We have a collection of our screenies cast their gaze into the not-too-distant future, to look at the most exciting movie franchises to be released in 2015. 

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars is ingrained into modern culture in a deep, irreplaceable way; it’s one of the defining monoliths of blockbuster cinema. Even the detritus that is the prequels couldn’t wash away its monumental importance. Once that shot of the Millennium Falcon, combined with that music, came on-screen, it exploded right back to the forefront of public consciousness. Suddenly, we all saw a glimmer of hope that Star Wars could be great again. It’s in the hands of a talented director, with a new and promising cast – I’m looking forward to seeing the direction they take it in.

Nicolas Porter

Jurassic World

The world has waited and waited, and so have I. Jurassic World has finally been announced, and aren’t I the excited one. This summer will bring back all the best bits of childhood minus Dr Alan Grant. Since Spielberg first presented us with the perils of humans creating dinosaurs and then getting eaten by them, cinema has never been the same. Needless to say, these roarsome creatures are what I am most eager to experience this year. Let’s hope the producers have spared no expense.

Emma Sudderick, Online Screen Editor 

Avengers Assemble: Age of Ultron

After the huge success of summer blockbusters Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future Past, it seems Marvel can do little wrong at the moment. And judging by the first trailer for the follow up to 2012’s Avengers Assemble, I can see little reason to think otherwise. A moody atmosphere, almighty brawls and one of Marvel’s deadliest villains, Ultron, (menacingly voiced by James Spader), there’s a lot for diehard fans and casual film goers alike to look forward to. A giant Iron Man taking on the Hulk in particular looks to be a potential highlight of the movie, amongst other scenes that I’m sure will whet the appetite of any movie fan. Don’t expect anything that diverts particulary far from the superhero formula, but definitely one to look out for come summer.

Josh Mine, Screen Editor 

Mad Max: Fury Road

I know you really shouldn’t judge the potential quality of a movie based on a trailer, as it creates this unfair cycle of expectation/disappointment – but my God, that trailer. It was a work of art in and of itself. It’s operatic and beautiful and intense and brutal; if the film is even slightly like it, I’ll be totally satisfied. I’ve never been the biggest Mad Max fan, but after seeing that trailer, I want to buy the box-set and put it on permanent repeat. Also, I might have the tiniest crush on Tom Hardy. What? Don’t act like you don’t too.

Nicolas Porter