Home News Honorary degree awarded to Hospicecare Chief by Chancellor

Honorary degree awarded to Hospicecare Chief by Chancellor

The University of Exeter has awarded Glynis Atherton, Chief Executive of Hospicecare, with an honorary Doctorate of Laws.

It was presented to her by the Chancellor of the University, Floella Benjamin, at the 2015 Winter Graduation Ceremony.

Atherton commented: “I was delighted and privileged to receive an honorary degree from Exeter University. Personally it is a huge honour, and my family and I had a wonderful day on 17th January at the graduation ceremony.

In essence this award recognises Hospiscare as a local charity that has been providing high quality care for people near the end of life for people in and around Exeter for 33 years.It also recognises the continuing partnership between the University of Exeter and Hospiscare and the significant contribution made to the charity by University staff and students.”

Glynis Atherton graduated from Swansea University with a politics degree before starting her career in the voluntary sector. After a post in the London Housing Period and a period of running a national coalition of community organisations whilst raising her children, she held the post of county director for Victim Support in Northamptonshire.

Following this, she was a senior manager at the Motor Neurone Disease Association, during which she completed an MBA via the Open University, later securing Institute of Director professional qualifications. She joined Hospicecare in 2006.

Hospicecare, which is based in Exeter, retains a fruitful relationship with the University, who began to support the company in 2012 and has so far helped to raise over £40,000 for the charity.

Theodore Stone, News Team