Home News Furthering the conversation about Exeter’s mental health

Furthering the conversation about Exeter’s mental health

This week will see the launch of a University-wide Mental Health Week.

The initiative unites a large number of student societies, aiming to foster dialogue across campus surrounding mental health issues.

The week will begin with a focus on mindfulness, with free meditation classes held by Meditation Society, whilst the Guild will also be welcoming the Donkey Sanctuary onto campus, allowing students to relieve stress through contact with animals.

Other events placing emphasis on relaxation and stress reduction will include an ecotherapy session with The Green Unit on Wednesday, free yoga with BodySoc on Thursday and a Peace Circle meditation session with the Buddhist Chaplain on Friday. Bubble wrap will also be available from the Guild Information Point throughout the week, as a “tried and tested” calming method.

More specific mental health issues such as self-esteem and eating disorders will also be addressed. On Tuesday, Mind Your Head will welcome Exeter alumnus and researcher Marie-Claire Reville to speak about the neurological effects of eating disorders, whilst ArtSoc will provide a life drawing class on Wednesday to promote positive body image.

Tuesday will also see a Mental Health Fair held in the Forum, in which student support services will exhibit the help they can offer.

DebSoc will close the week with the debate “This house believes that Britain is failing to support people with mental health problems.” President Chloe Bitcon hopes the event will engage students and “further the conversation about mental health.”

Kate Hawkins, VP Welfare and Diversity and leader of the initiative, told Exeposé: “Taking care of our mental wellbeing is so important throughout our lives and especially at university. We all have mental health and it needs attention in the same way as our physical health. Mental Health Week is a great opportunity for the Students’ Guild and University to work together to raise awareness of mental health through engaging activities and opportunities to take time out from our busy lives.”

For full event listings, click here.

Fiona Potigny, News Team