Home Music Features Mock the Weak: Fall Out Boy

Mock the Weak: Fall Out Boy

Theodore Stone slags off the biggest name in pop punk, Fall Out Boy

Ever since the release of their latest album ‘American Beauty/American Psycho’, I’ve been tempted to start a campaign to rename the band in question ‘Fall Asleep Boy’. Why? The answer is simple; Fall Out Boy has become boring.

Before I begin my rant, I would like to point out that I do enjoy some of Fall Out Boy’s older material. I still consider ‘Save Rock and Roll’ to be a benchmark for production quality and ‘Infinity on High’ is granted infrequent spins on my iTunes. They can be fun, they can be engaging, and this is usually all that I want from them. However, their latest album fails on both accounts.

When I was listening to it for the first time, I began to note that every song on the album sounded peculiarly similar to the last. The album is littered with electro-pop that tries (and spectacularly fails) to sound edgy. The lyrics have become excessively inane, which is a problem that I might not have if the music behind it was interesting, but it is anything but.

The band claims that their new album is ‘pushing the envelope’, but it is anything but. It’s a simple piece of filler, designed to excite teenagers who should know better and make as much money as possible. Electronic-based “Rock” music has emerged as a major player when it comes to radio coverage, thanks to Bastille and Imagine Dragons (who somehow make Coldplay look like Frank Zappa). It’s understandable that Fall Out Boy will want a piece of the cake that is up for grabs, but it simply does not work.

The dynamic shifts on ‘Irresistible’ have no impact on me because they’ve been used on a plethora of songs by the band from both this album and the one before it. They expect the audience to be shocked by the changes, but it simply leads to an enhanced form of boredom.

Perhaps the clue to why they’ve become a snooze-fest is in the title? Bret Easton Ellis’ ‘American Psycho’ parodies the over-commercialization of pop music, and how its loss of intelligence has led to increased sales. However, because of how serious they seem to be, I doubt that they are able to comprehend the satire. There’s a higher chance that we should thank Steve from Marketing than the band for the title.

Perhaps they should’ve called it ‘American Bedtime/American Narcolepsy?

Theodore Stone

Online Editor, Philosophy Student, terrible musician.