Home News RockSolid intake leaves limited spaces

RockSolid intake leaves limited spaces

Participants in last year's RockSolid race.
Participants in last year’s RockSolid race.

Limited spaces remain for this year’s RockSolid race, which returns on the 21 and 22 March.

The “mud-fuelled adventure”, as described by Exeter RAG on their Facebook event, is set to be one of the most popular yet with tickets having sold out as early as last Wednesday 28 January, just under one month ahead of the race.

Owing to the event’s popularity, RAG has since organised a ticket resale, but is advising students to “get’em quick”, as only a small quantity remain. Limited tickets will be on sale until Friday 27th February.

As with every year, RockSolid will take place across the challenging Escot Park terrain, where around “5000 Rockers” will tackle obstacle courses of five, ten or fifteen kilometres comprised of up to 50 obstacles.

The high-endurance race, which is one of the largest of its kind in the United Kingdom, will see entrants tackle hills, streams and mud banks, amongst other ominously named features such as Tricep Tyranny and the Epic Hydroslide, finishing with the Wall of Glory, a 12 foot vertical climb.

Students can enter via the Guild website where they can select their distance, in turn committing to match or exceed the individual fundraising target of £150, with a reduced individual target of £100 for teams of ten or more. All money raised will be divided amongst Exeter RAG’s four chosen charities: Exeter Foodbank, Mind in Exeter and Devon and Exeter Student Volunteers.

In return for their efforts, competitors will receive a RockSolid t-shirt, goodie bag, dog tag free transport to and from the race and entry to an after party.

To assist with preparation in the run-up to the event, circuit-training sessions are currently on offer in the Sports Park main hall each Monday between 5.15pm and 6.00pm.

Last year’s robust response from the student body saw sign-ups soar past RAG’s 50 person aim, prompting the fundraising society to book another coach and buy more vests to accommodate the number of runners

With this year’s race already promising a good turnout, organiser Charlotte Hobbs shared her enthusiasm for the event with Exeposé: “RAG’s participation in Rock Solid began last year, when we fundraised over £13,000. This year, we’re back to do it bigger and better. We currently have over 200 runners with teams from Snowsports, EUMHC, EUAC and EURFC, and are set to smash last year’s total.”

“For those who don’t haven’t ticked this incredible mud-fest off their Exeter Uni bucket list yet, or those who loved it so much last time they’re back for more, tickets are in limited supply to get your team together and sign up now!”

Fiona Potigny, News Team

Follow @ExeposeNews on Twitter and like us here on Facebook

Exeposé News Editor 2015/16. All about that scoop, with a mega love of all that is culture, current affairs, fashion, feminism, philology... and FOIs. Puns make me very, very happy.