Home Games & Tech Review: Resident Evil HD Remaster

Review: Resident Evil HD Remaster

We’ve got brrrrraaaaiiinnns on the…er brain. Matthew Jones with his verdict on the HD remake of Shinji Mikami‘s seminal zombie title:

Shinji Mikami’s survival horror Resident Evil was originally released in 1996 on the PlayStation and later remade for the GameCube in 2002. It has now been remade once again for current and last-generation platforms in the form of Resident Evil HD Remaster. A remake of a remake, if you will.

The game features members of the Special Tactics and Rescue Service, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, one of whom you can choose to play as for the duration of your playthrough. Chris and Jill are sent to the outskirts of Raccoon City to investigate the disappearance of their comrades and end up becoming trapped in a mysterious mansion filled with clues, puzzles and zombies.

Upon startup, you get some options as to how you want to play the game, such as choosing between the standard 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio of the modern era or the classic 4:3 of the original. You can also choose between the original control scheme or a new alternate one. These are nice features as they appeal to old players and new players alike.

The art direction creates the atmosphere of a classic horror flick

The atmosphere of the game is reminiscent of horror movies with a carefully chosen level of lighting and pre-rendered scenes that invoke a similar sensation to watching a classic horror from the 1920s.

This effect is further enhanced by minimalistic sound, adding a new layer of fear to the experience. There are also small details around the mansion, such as patches of dirt on the carpet or scratches on the wall. This attention to detail may not sound like much, but it really does add to the overall atmosphere.

The camera is always placed at a fixed viewpoint near the player, so that when you walk out of view, the position of the camera will change to the next relevant viewpoint. This makes the game more heart-pumping as you never know what is around the next corner. And whether it wants to eat you or not.

The original Resident Evil featured hilariously bad voice acting, with classic quotes such as “That was too close! You were almost a Jill Sandwich!” but I couldn’t possibly do the script justice here. In this version of the game, the script has been redone with some of the cheesier dialogue being cut or altered with new voice actors.

The game features multiple endings and lots of achievements, which encourages repeat playthroughs from players who wish to see everything the game has to offer.

Matthew Jones

What are the standout improvements of Resident Evil HD Remaster for you? What other classic games would you like to see get an HD remake? Let us know by dropping us an email at exepose-games@xmedia.ex.ac.uk. For more on everything else games and tech, check us out on Facebook and Twitter.