Home News FemSoc join Valentine’s Day flashmob in Princesshay

FemSoc join Valentine’s Day flashmob in Princesshay

Exeter’s FemSoc and a red-clad dancing collective recently staged a Valentine’s Day flashmob to show their solidarity with victims of domestic violence.

The musical display, which took place in Exeter’s Princesshay, saw tens of females come together to dance to the song ‘Break The Chain’, which features lyrics such as “No more rape, or incest, or abuse/ Women are not a possession”.

The creative protest was organised by Exeter Rising, a local group supporting the #1billionrising initiative, which was inaugurated on Valentine’s Day 2012 in a bid to end violence against women.

The performance was just one aspect of a wider day of awareness taking place within the shopping centre, which featured a variety of rousing speeches and stalls, including one denouncing sexual violence within Fifty Shades of Grey.

Alisa Valpola-Walker, who organised FemSoc’s involvement in the event, cited the staggering statistic that one in three women will be beaten or raped in their lifetime as the society’s main motivation to participate.

She said: “FemSoc was invited to take part in the first One Billion Rising event to take place outside of the university by the same women who organize the Reclaim the Night marches. It was a great success…To stand alongside people of varying ages and backgrounds to celebrate women and stand up against the injustices faced by them was really liberating.”

The event saw FemSoc working alongside members of local domestic abuse organisations: Survivors Educating & Empowering the Domestic Abuse Services (SEEDS) and Stop Abuse for Everyone (SAFE).

She added: “Of course [the event] could have been bigger, but the connections we’ve made with the community as a result are invaluable. I’m really looking forward to seeing One Billion Rising grow in Exeter for years to come.”

Fiona Potigny, News Team

Follow @ExeposeNews on Twitter and like us here on Facebook