Home Sport Success for EUSC at the BUCS Individuals championship

Success for EUSC at the BUCS Individuals championship

306

The Exeter Squash Mens and Womens teams competed in the national BUCS Individuals championship in Birmingham. Club number one, Peter Joyce, finished 7th in the A grade with more silverware achieved by Will Sergeant in the Mens H cup and Katherine Jensen in the Womens B plate.

The championship took place over the course of a long weekend, beginning on Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd March and saw a total of 16 players (12 men, four women) competing across grades from A-H.

As the first players took to the court, the good news kept on flooding in throughout the first day, leading to a fantastic 13 wins and three losses in the first round!

The Men's H Grade Final saw an all Exeter final. Image Credits: EUSC
The Men’s H Grade Final saw an all Exeter final. Image Credits: EUSC

All of our men secured a win in their first round matches with few even dropping a game, including Peter who had already secured a top eight finish due to the ‘monrad’ setup of the A grade. The first blow was dealt to Nick Thompson who was pushed into the plate after losing to a very tough initial opponent.

Both the women in the C grade (Lousia Madsen and Hattie Bates) cruised their first match, however they were shortly followed by Katherine Jensen and Jodie Koep in the B grade who became the next soldiers to fall in the first round, also seeing them into the plate.

Second round proceedings were then finished by Saturday morning, this time with 5 cup wins, 2 plate wins and higher losses as the matches get tougher. 8 competitors, including Tim Moseley, Joel Brickell, first year Andrew Taylor and all the women bar Katherine now saw an end to the competition after putting up fierce fights and never giving up. Peter also suffered a 3-0 loss after drawing WR 128, Rob Downer, now ensuring a 5th-8th place finish in the A grade.

As evening approached the remaining 6 players now fought on tired legs for a place in the Sunday’s finals. Akshaye Wadhwa and Will Sergeant both won their opposing semi-finals in the same grade, seeing them face each other in an all Exeter H cup final. Katherine and Nick also secured wins seeing them into the men’s and women’s B plate finals!

The Sunday soon came and the finals were settled, Will beat Akshaye in the H final bringing home the first silverware, closely followed by Katherine who won the B plate. Nick unfortunately lost his plate final however Peter who won his last match 3-2, seeing him finish 7th nationally. Overall the weekend allowed for the university to show off its talented squash players, many of which achieving fantastic results and even a few bringing a bit of silverware back to Exeter!

James Davenport 

Like Exeposé Sport on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for all the latest in university, local and global sport