Home Comment An eventful week

An eventful week

Elections have come to a close and, for those of you who’re sick of getting chased up Forum Hill by annoying candidates in smelly suits, that might come as music to your ears. The week saw fiery debates, flash mobs and furry onesies, ending with the crowning of LJT, Naomi Armstrong, Katie O’Connor, Bethan Jones and Jack Bristow as our new Sabbs. Congratulations all, and well done to the Guild for such a lively, engaging display of record breaking democracy at work.

What seemed to be overlooked in many manifestos and discussions, however, was environmental issues at Exeter. This week we set out to investigate one of many issues that come under “eco-friendliness” – the University’s carbon footprint. It’s clear that great work is being done in many respects: the fact that, despite growing student numbers, carbon efficiency per student has improved and the innovative ways in which buildings are becoming more efficient are good examples. However, our violent dip in the ‘Green League’ and shoddy score on carbon reduction simply aren’t reflecting this, and the University’s target of 43 per cent carbon reduction by 2020 looks increasingly out of reach.

You might have noticed our last issue was late – the full explanation for this is on page 3, including a patronising quote from the Uni who seem to have a unique interpretation of Exeposé’s code of practice. Safe to say we were unimpressed that the Uni were so rapid in threatening legal action. They weren’t interested in having a conversation about it, but jumped straight to legal threats in a seemingly deliberate attempt to intimidate. It’s clear to us that they were sensitive about their highest earners being subject to criticism.

There has been movement on that story, though. The expenses of the ten lowest paid staff are published on 3. For any fans of equality, it is not pleasant reading. Unlike the highest earners, nine out of ten of whom claimed thousands, the same amount of low paid staff claimed nothing at all. They made no ambiguous claims for “subsistence,” “equipment” or “gifts” – just eight train tickets, and we needn’t tell you which class they were.

Next to this editorial you’ll find a letter from Sarah Turvill, who sits next to Sir Steve as Chair of Council. Have a read if you fancy an odd justification for the thousands the Uni spends on luxury travel that supposedly “strengthens” our reputation as a “first-class” University. Irony, anyone? It’s also a tad condescending, failing as it does to deal with any of the relevant issues and expecting students to nod along like good little year fours waiting for their turkey twizzlers in assembly.

On a far lighter note, SEX. It’s taken over our newspaper. From interviews at Exeter’s sex shop to love-making tips, porn star names and some anonymous confessions, Lifestyle go mad for the stuff throughout 16-19. Books talk erotic literature on 28 & 29, whilst Arts tastefully analyse an enormous butt plug (apparently that’s actually possible – 30). The latter also discuss depictions of female nudity on 31 and Comment get in on the act (wahey), with a guide to the best sex spots on campus and a more serious piece on life as a pansexual (8). Even G & T find space to talk Skype sex, virtual porn (32) and the giant dildo on 33.

Amid all the shagging, there is some other important stuff. Flora Carr’s typically excellent feature on sexual harassment (12), an interesting interview with the CEO of FairTrade (11), a rowdy chat with The Stranglers’ frontman (20) and an unfortunate disappointment for EURWFC (40) are perhaps the pick of the bunch.

Harrison Jones & Gemma Joyce