Home News Baroness Floella Benjamin to step down as Chancellor

Baroness Floella Benjamin to step down as Chancellor

Baroness Floella Benjamin will be stepping down from her role as the University’s Chancellor, it has been announced today.

Winter Graduation in 2016 will be the last to be presided over by Baroness Benjamin, who has attended 172 degree ceremonies as Chancellor, and spoken to over 35,000 graduating students.

Reflecting on her ten years in the position, she said, “One of my main and most enjoyable duties as Chancellor has been attending graduation and being able to personally greet each and every student.”

“Due to the incredible success of the University since 2006, presiding over an expanding number of ceremonies may not be possible in the future, and so, it is with great regret, that I have decided to step down as Chancellor of the University.”

Chair of the Council, Sarah Turvill said, “The University wishes to extend its heartfelt thanks and gratitude for the incredible support Floella has provided to students, their families and the University. She is a remarkable person and will be extremely difficult to replace.”

Besides her ceremonial duties, Floella was a frequent supporter of student projects, and impressed at graduation balls as the lead-singer of ‘Damn Right’. Former Guild President Hannah Barton, said, “The chants and screams from students were amazing, Floella brought the house down.”

Baroness Benjamin added, “During the last decade Exeter University has risen in the league tables, joined the Russell Group, increased its international profile and undergone an exciting period of expansion. I am now looking forward to enjoying my final year as Chancellor and celebrating the University’s Diamond Jubilee.”

Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sir Steve Smith concluded, “Although Floella will be an extremely hard act to follow, the search now begins for her replacement. We will be looking for an exceptional individual to support the next phase of our growth which will focus on expanding our international research base, collaborations and partnerships.”

Giorgi Mamuzelos, News Team