Home News Library study spaces set to increase

Library study spaces set to increase

Image Credit: topyaps.com
Image Credit: topyaps.com

The university have announced today that a further 32 study spaces will be added to the library.

The desks, which will all have power, will be located in the Express Collections area on Level 0.

The news comes as part of the first phase of plans to expand the library, as the university intends to increase study space and expand the library over the summer.

A University spokesperson said: “A project is underway to transform the existing space in the Forum Library, to provide additional study spaces. This is being carried out in response not only to student demand, and also to changes for how library provisions as a whole are requested by customers, with reading materials increasingly provided and used online by students.”

“A video collection has already been relocated from Level +1, creating space for the provision of some additional study desks on that floor.  A small amount of shelving no longer required in the Law Library will also be replaced with individual study seats, increasing the seating capacity in this popular and bright Library space. Some minor works are also planned for March to create 56 additional study desks which will be available in time for the May exam period.”

“Proposals for more alterations on Levels 0 and -1 are being drawn up, with a view to work being undertaken during the 2015 summer vacation, and a further phase of work in the summer of 2016.”

A third year History student said: “It’s great that the university is taking active measures to increase study space on campus, especially before the upcoming exam season.”

Rachel Gelormini, Online News Editor

Follow @ExeposeNews on Twitter and like us here on Facebook