Home Screen The 35th Golden Raspberry Awards

The 35th Golden Raspberry Awards

And the Worst Award goes to…

On Saturday 21st February, the Montalban Theatre in Los Angeles, California laid host to the most important ceremony of this year’s cinematic awards season. No, I’m not talking about the Academy Awards; I’m talking about the Golden Raspberry Awards.

Image Credit: newsarama.com
Image Credit: newsarama.com

Celebrating its 35th year, the Golden Raspberry Awards, or ‘Razzie’s’ as they are affectionately known, ‘honour’ the worst movies of 2014.

The prizes are said to be of the finest quality, with each winner receiving a spray-painted trophy worth £3.11. In fact, the awards are so coveted that most nominees don’t even bother to turn up.

Going into the evening, the Michael Bay explosion-fest Transformers: Age of Extinction held the most nominations, with seven. Closely following behind was the fantasy action film Hercules and the Yuletide evangelical preach-a-thon Saving Christmas, with six nominations each.

By the end of the night however, Transformers was left disappointed, leaving with only two wins. In the end, it was Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas that triumphed, securing four wins, including Worst Picture, Worst Actor and Worst Screenplay.

Its director and lead actor, Kirk Cameron, was also awarded the Razzie for Worst Onscreen Couple, which he shared with his ego.

The film currently holds the #1 spot on IMDB’s ‘Bottom 100’, with a score of 1.5/10.

Image Credit: IMDB
Image Credit: IMDB

Transformers did, however, win in the Worst Director category, with Michael Bay winning his second award in this field. Kelsey Grammer was awarded Worst Supporting Actor, thanks to his roles in the aforementioned Transformers movie, as well as his performances in The Expendables 3, Legends of Oz: Dorothy Returns and Think Like a Man Too.

Other victors included Cameron Diaz, who won Worst Actress for her roles in The Other Woman and Sex Tape.

Megan Fox won Worst Supporting Actress for her work in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which was, somewhat ironically, produced by Michael Bay) and the remake of the 1982 musical Annie, which won Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel.

The one glimmer of hope from the night was the brand-new ‘Razzie Redeemer’ award, which went to Ben Affleck for his film ‘Argo’, which won the Academy Award for Best Picture, and his acting in ‘Gone Girl’. Affleck had previously won a Razzie in 2004 for his acting in ‘Gigli’.

Theo Stone