Home News Exeter Phoenix secures £320,000 expansion grant

Exeter Phoenix secures £320,000 expansion grant

Exeter Phoenix expansion plans are set in motion after securing funding from Arts Council England.

A successful bid for £320,000 has been granted to Exeter’s multi-artform venue in order to increase its facilities.

A new balcony and extra 94 seats will be installed in the auditorium in the hope that a larger audience capacity will attract more high profile performers to the venue.

The funding will allow for an expanded film programme that will take place in a new cinema, offering more opportunities for local filmmakers and artists to showcase their work. Hoping to capitalise on the success of recent film festivals such as Scandiland – a season of Scandinavian cinema – Exeter Phoenix will produce more unique festivals that combine music, art, film and food.

A new bar and hospitality area on the first floor will enable visitors to enjoy drinks with a view whilst increased work space will mean more creative companies can work from Exeter Phoenix’s site.  The money will also allow the addition of green measures such as solar power generation and insulation.

Derek Philips, Chair of the Board at Exeter Phoenix, said: “We are delighted that we can now make these additions to the building which will enable this city’s creative hub to generate new business, develop more artists and create moreopportunities for South West audiences.”

Work is scheduled to commence this spring.

Sarah Gough, Arts Editor

Follow @ExeposeNews on Twitter and like us here on Facebook