Home Uncategorized Sub-Lime Coconut Muffins

Sub-Lime Coconut Muffins

433

Not sure what to do with that leftover tin of coconut milk lingering in the back of your cupboard? Look no further! Sophia Imeson, Online Lifestyle Columnist, shares a delicious lime and coconut muffin recipe with us…

Picture this: your student house is colder than an abandoned igloo, a seemingly endless stream of summative assignments is sliding your way, and not even Bear Grylls could create something edible out of the contents of your kitchen cupboard.

What do you do? Do you crank up the heating, despite the expense, start typing up an essay plan and soothe your rumbling stomach with the only food you have left; half a jar of pickled gherkins and an old can of kidney beans?

Or, do you rummage around at the bottom of your pockets and find enough loose change to buy ingredients to make a sweet and scrumptious batch of coconut and lime muffins? I think I know what I’d choose out of those two options…

These muffins may not be that exciting to look at, but their delicate coconut flavour works really well with the tangy taste of lime. Gobble one down with a big mug of tea and daydream of tropical sunsets and coconut cocktails. Just remember that you probably will have to start that essay at some point…

Coconut muffins:coconut muffins

300g plain flour

50g desiccated coconut

370g caster sugar

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

½ teaspoon of coconut extract (you can find this online, in baking shops or in Lakelands)

375ml coconut milk

1 egg

70g salted butter, melted

zest of one lime

Lime frosting:

80g granulated sugar

Juice of 2 limes

Topping:

A sprinkling of desiccated coconut (optional)

Preheat the oven to 170 C and mix the flour, desiccated coconut, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl, preferably with a hand held electric whisk unless you’re prepared to put in some serious muscle power!

Stir the coconut milk with the egg and coconut extract in a jug then pour it slowly in to the flour and sugar mixture. Beat together to ensure all the ingredients are combined.

Add the melted butter and carefully fold it in to the mixture then turn on your handheld electric whisk (or bust those biceps) until the mixture is smooth and even.

Finally, stir in the lime zest.

Spoon the mixture in to a muffin tin that has been lined with 12 paper cases. Fill each case around two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.

Depending on your oven, they may take a few minutes longer. The muffins should be golden brown in colour, springy to the touch and when a skewer is inserted in to the centre it should come out clean.

Ideally the muffins should still be slightly warm when the sugary lime frosting is added. Whilst you’re waiting for them to cool slightly, mix the 80g of sugar with the freshly squeezed juice of two limes in a little bowl.

When the muffins are no longer piping hot, gently drizzle the topping over each one, sprinkle over some desiccated coconut, if you like, and leave to cool. Remember to share them!

Sophia Imeson, Online Lifestyle Columnist

Enjoyed this article? Don’t forget to check out Sophia’s previous columns, posted every week on a Tuesday…