Home News £4 million pound sports centre to be built on Penryn campus

£4 million pound sports centre to be built on Penryn campus

Plans for a new £4 million pound sport centre for the Penryn campus have just been released.

The new centre, which is to be built by the contractor Midas, will contain a 700sqm four-court sports hall. It will be available for hire as a multi-use venue and will include a 350sqm gym with up to 90 stations, a 150sqm fitness studio and changing rooms.

Additional funding is also being sought for a 50-place nursery, part of a wider plan that makes this project “highly sustainable” according to organisers.

It is predicted that the project could be completed and open by next summer if all goes to plan.

The University of Exeter, Falmouth University and FXU (the Falmouth Student Union) are still waiting for planning permission to be granted for the project at this stage.

Roger Auster, FXU President Student Experience, has spoken of the strong benefits the centre would bring for students at the Penryn campus.

He commented: “This new facility will dramatically enhance the student experience of sporting activity in Cornwall, for which there is high demand”.

“We have achieved one of our top ten priorities for 2015/2016 with this decision and thank everyone involved in the process including the FXU sabbatical officers who have lobbied for this, the cross-partnership Sports Project Board and the University of Exeter Council.”

The University hopes that work can begin later this summer on the project, once planning permission is granted and necessary details on costs and design detail are resolved.

Will Taverner, News Team