Exeter University official sponsor of Exeter Pride 2015

1363

As the city prepares for an afternoon of activities to mark Exeter Pride 2015, the University has announced that it will be an official sponsor of the event.

Over 2500 people are expected to take part in this year’s seventh annual Pride festival, which celebrates LGBTQ+ communities in and around Exeter.

Image Credit: Demotix
Image Credit: Demotix

The day begins at 12 noon on Saturday 16th May, with a parade from St Sidwell’s Centre on Sidwell Street set to feature circus performers, Morris dancers, a fire engine and a 50 metre rainbow flag.

Activities are set to continue throughout the afternoon, with workshops and family events at Exeter Phoenix, and the event’s largest ever marketplace at Rougemont Gardens. The evening entertainment will then begin, with local acts, music and a club night finishing at 2am.

All day time events are free of charge – which, according to the charity, would not be possible without the support of local businesses and individuals. “These efforts, together with the generous sponsorship from our partners, all help to keep Exeter Pride a free event,” said Chairman Neil Clements.

“The University’s decision to sponsor Exeter Pride is one part of an ongoing process of recognising and celebrating the diversity of its students,” commented Sam Jermy and Natasha Thrale, Presidents of Exeter’s LGBTQ+ Society.

“When it comes down to it, Pride is about visibility,” they continued. “It’s about being true to yourself and owning who you are in a world that is constantly telling you that you are wrong, or ‘other.’”

“And of course, Pride is always a fantastic day for taking part and having fun with the wider LGBTQ+ community!”

Hannah Butler, News Team

Follow @ExeposeNews on Twitter and find us on Facebook.
Exeposé Editor and final year English & German student, still trying to find a balance in life between rum and writing. www.hrebutler.wordpress.com