Home Editors' Picks Toby Glad-WINS Guild President election

Toby Glad-WINS Guild President election

1424
Guild President 2016/17 Toby Gladwin. Photo: Edwin Yeung

T

oby Gladwin stormed to victory at the Guild Election results night on Friday, beating off competition to become the newly elected Students’ Guild President for 2016/17.

An all-male Sabbatical team are set to represent students in the next academic year. Gladwin will be joined by Tristan Gatward as VP Activities and Harry Reeve as VP Education. Alec James fought off six competitors to win the VP Welfare & Diversity position, whilst Josh Callander is the newly elected Athletic Union President.

The 2016 election failed to surpass last year’s record-breaking turnout figures. 7,072 votes were cast in total, 359 less than the year before. However, 40.8 per cent of the student population cast their vote – over double the Students’ Union sector average.

VP Welfare & Diversity 2016/17 Alec James with the current VP Naomi Armstrong. Photo: Edwin Yeung

According to Guild statistics, first year students were the most engaged in the elections, with 2,621 Freshers casting their vote. Classics, the society Gladwin presides over, won the “Most Engaged Subject” award, while almost 2,000 students from the College of Humanities turned out – accounting for over a quarter of the total vote. 49 per cent of all 9,878 society members voted, with NOOMA seeing the highest percentage turnout with 93.2 per cent of their membership engaged.

As voting closed on Friday, Toby Gladwin’s campaign video had amassed 14,598 views. Shared extensively by The Huffington Post and The Tab, Gladwin parodied popular hits including Bruno Mars’ ‘Uptown Funk’ and Macklemore’s ‘Thrift Shop’ to advertise his manifesto. Gladwin’s main pledges include extending dedicated study space to town venues, opening the Lemon Grove in the daytime and introducing a Lifetime Guild Membership.

Tristan Gatward and his campaign team. Photo: Edwin Yeung

Speaking to Exeposé after his win, Gladwin said: “I’m completely overwhelmed with the support from friends. Thank you everyone who helped support my campaign and to all the students for voting!”

Other Guild positions announced on Friday included DVP International Shraddha Chaudhary, DVP Campaigns Sophie Hatton and DVP Sustainability Natasa Christofidou. The new student trustees elected are Charles Beaty, Peter Gillibrand, Aida Mugabo, Malaka Schwaikh and Victoria Poku-Amanfo.

VP Education-elect Harry Reeve campaigning in the Forum. Photo: Edwin Yeung

Speaking to Exeposé on results night, current Guild President Laura-Jane Tiley said: “This year’s candidates have been absolutely superb and I’m delighted that they have engaged so many students. We have seen incredible campaigning activity from each of the teams across the course of the week and I’m sorry to all of those who worked so hard and missed out on their chosen position.

“Next year’s sabbatical team, trustees and DVPs will make fantastic representatives and I can’t wait to hear about the brilliant work they’re going to do for students here next year.”