Home LifestyleFashion and Beauty Student Saviour: Puffer Jackets and Evening Wear

Student Saviour: Puffer Jackets and Evening Wear

In what I can only assume is a gift sent down from the fashion gods and goddesses, especially for us Exeter students, wearing puffer jackets with evening wear is now cool, or so Elle magazine tells me. Christmas really has come early this year.

Let’s start by talking about puffer jackets. Yes, they may remind you of your primary school days when you were forced to go out in the playground in minus five degree weather, but let’s not forget, school days are cool days (forgive the rhyme). With the trend of pinafores and school-esque sandals carrying on strong from last Autumn, there is no doubt that the school look is in. Sorry to those who thought they’d finally escaped their uniform days.

WITH THE TREND OF PINAFORES AND SCHOOL-ESQUE SANDALS CARRYING ON STRONG FROM LAST AUTUMN, THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT THE SCHOOL LOOK IS IN

pexels-photo-54202

Now we’ve established how cool they are, let’s talk about the warmth and, more importantly, the breathability. If you are anything like me, you will have spent many an hour over the past few weeks trying to find the perfect coat for Exeter. It has to be warm enough to deal with the sudden change in weather (seriously, is it just me or has it dropped ten degrees in two days), but breathable enough for you to make it to the top of Forum Hill without sweating off your makeup. The puffer jacket is perfect.

the perfect coat has to be breathable enough for you to make it to the top of Forum Hill without sweating off your makeup

pexels-photo-179768

Now let’s focus on the evening wear aspect. For years the topic of appropriate outerwear for winter clubbing has caused mass panic and hysteria. You can’t brave the walk to TP without an extra layer, but the cost of coat check may be even greater than the risk of hypothermia. This trend has resolved it all. You can cosy up in your jacket on the walk to and from the club, via mega kebab of course, looking chic as anything paired with your sparkly top and winged eyeliner, then it is light enough that you can just tie it around your waist in the club to both continue the trend and avoid the daylight (nightlight) robbery that is paying for coat check.

In conclusion, although you may usually steer clear of the puffer jacket for fear of looking like a seven year old child or fifty year old football mum, there is no denying that this trend is a blessing. Make the most of it before you are back to trekking up cardiac in a full length felt coat and stumbling to cheesies in a strappy top.