Home Features Trump’s Won It

Trump’s Won It

Donald J. Trump is now the President Elect of the United States of America, having secured 276 electoral votes to Hillary Clinton’s 218. He will be the 45th President of the United States.

Very few expected this result. The national polls put Clinton comfortably ahead of Trump. Clinton was meant to win in swing states like Florida and Michigan – states that ultimately determined the result of this election.

Defying the polls, Trump managed to seize Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin and – perhaps most significantly – Pennsylvania. Clinton of course captured California and dominated most – but not all – of the north-east coast, but fell considerably short of the magic number mark. The deep south remained solidly red and the Democrats held onto Colorado and New Mexico.

Regardless of how one feels about the result – whether one was rooting for Clinton or for Trump – we can all agree that yesterday’s result is as seismic as it is phenomenal. What will the short-term effects be on domestic and foreign affairs? That for now remains unclear. What is clear, though, is that nothing short of a revolution has occurred in America. Yesterday one political establishment was effectively overturned and replaced with a new order, for better or for worse.

yesterday’s result is as seismic as it is phenomenal

It goes without saying that America is a deeply divided nation now. Divided on political lines. Divided on economic lines. Divided on social lines. “I pledge to be president for all Americans,” Trump said in his New York victory speech, adding: “The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer.” Healing the wounds of division in America will be one of the key tests of Trump’s presidency.

This election, of course, was about much more than the presidency. It was about the House of Representatives and the Senate, both of which are dominated now by the Republicans. Perhaps most importantly of all it was about filling the vacancy on the Supreme Court, whose members go on to dominate policy long after the short reign of presidents.

Donald J. Trump – despite having virtually the entirety of the media establishment against him; despite having far fewer resources than his rival; and despite being shown to be consistently behind in the national polls – has won the US presidential election.

If I’ve learnt anything from Brexit and Trump – from 2016 in general – it’s that you can never say never in politics. Never.