Home Music Feature: Class of 2017 – Up and Coming Artists

Feature: Class of 2017 – Up and Coming Artists

With 2016 swiftly coming to a close, it is time to set our gaze to the upcoming year and the many different musical talents it will provide us with. Here at Exeposé Music we like to think we have our finger on the pulse, as Rory Marcham, Music Editor, attempts to predict who will be some of 2017’s hottest acts to look out for.

Loyle Carner

loyle-carner

Already something of a star already, Loyle Carner is almost certainly going to be huge in 2017. The south London, Brit school graduate (the school that also brought us the likes of Adele and Amy Winehouse) has sent shockwaves through the UK hip-hop scene with his confessional lyricism and stylish Brit-hop beats. With a sold out UK tour (including a date at London’s infamous Koko) as well as some high profile festival slots at the likes of Latitude and Bestival already under his belt, anticipation is building towards his debut album set to be released next year. From the strutting beat of ‘NO CD’ to the soulful saxophone intro of ‘Ain’t Nothing Changed’, Carner has a mature sound that is easily accessible to fans of all genres and a lyrical delivery more akin to spoken word than much of today’s modern rap. Already being championed by the likes of BBC Radio 1, Loyle Carner is almost destined be a star and my most assured pick of the class of 2017.

Songs to Try: ‘NO CD’, ‘Stars & Shards’

Alexandra Savior

alexandra-savior

The rise of the LA songstress is something that has been shrouded in mystery, first appearing with the demo ‘Risk’ on the soundtrack to HBO’s True Detective, a track also co-written by Arctic Monkeys’ frontman Alex Turner. Originating from Portland, Oregon the 21 year old has made quite a name for herself in the industry in spite of having only two songs to her name. Drenched in reverb and supported with thick bass lines, Savior’s dream poppy love songs have clearly grabbed the attention of Turner and fellow Arctic Monkeys producer James Ford who are both on production duties for her upcoming album, Strange Portrait. From her seductive voice to the desert rock guitar lines, there is definitely an Arctic Monkeys influence in her sound, with her association with a certain Mr. Turner (of whom she also co-wrote The Last Shadow Puppets track Miracle Aligner with) attracting great attention from Monkeys’ fans and industry experts alike. A very promising artist and one I would thoroughly recommend checking out.

Songs to Try: ‘Shades’, ‘M.T.M.E.’

Cabbage

cabbageband

Cabbage are well and truly a band as absurd as their name suggests. Hailing from Manchester, this group of post-punks are beginning to make a name for themselves on the live circuit following a series of anarchic performances that have been compared with fellow hell-raisers The Fat White Family. Cabbage are the type of guitar band Britain has been missing for the last couple of years. A messy, idiosyncratic punk outfit that are out to have fun and will most certainly polarise opinion. Either you’ll jump head first into their twisted satirical wordplay or you’ll be quite disgusted by their rather revolting jet-black sense of humour, something that can be found smeared over pretty much all of their tracks. Cabbage will never be (nor want to be for that matter) world-beaters or a band for the big choruses, but already booked as the main support for Blossoms’ UK tour, alongside an ever-swelling fan base, it’s fair to say that 2017 could be an interesting year for the band.

Songs to Try: ‘Uber Capitalist Death Trade’, ‘Dinner Lady’

Formation

formation

In spite of being hidden by a series of links concerning the recent Beyoncé single, this South London quartet are making significant steps towards making it big. With early comparisons to electronic titans LCD Soundsystem, founding twins Will and Matt Ritson have already been given big shoes to fill. Their brand of dance-punk has a trademark groove that has already seen them accrue a number of adoring fans whilst igniting festivals up and down the country and in supporting indie rockers Foals on their recent tour. Having already released two critically acclaimed EPs as well as a number of successful singles, with the likes of ‘All the Rest is Noise’ and ‘Powerful People’ receiving airtime on BBC 6 Music, 2017 looks to be a big year for the band and an opportunity to release their great potential. Could they be also be something great?

Songs to Try: ‘Powerful People’, ‘All the Rest is Noise’

Declan McKenna

declan

Declan McKenna is the youngest member of the list by some distance, aged just 17. He more than compensates for this age gap with a mature song-writing ability that has seen him tackle ambiguous topics including the corruption of the footballing body FIFA in ‘Brasil’ and the controversy of religion in ‘Bethlehem’. Coming to prominence through winning Glastonbury Festival’s ‘Emerging Talent’ competition, McKenna must have already ticked a lot off of his music check-list; playing the legendary Glastonbury festival, making his debut television appearance on BBC 2 music show Later… With Jools Holland and already having a song appear on the latest soundtrack to the football video game FIFA 17. With an stash of catchy tunes already to his name, Declan McKenna is certainly one to look out for in 2017.

Songs to Try: ‘Bethlehem’, ‘Isombard’