Home Comment Does anyone fancy a Solero? Is ice cream gay?

Does anyone fancy a Solero? Is ice cream gay?

Iwan Evans shares his view on Richard Hammond's recent comments

710

I never thought I’d be writing an article about how ice creams are gay, but a lot of awful things have happened this year, so here we are.

On The Grand Tour Amazon TV Prime show, a Top Gear replacement, Richard Hammond claimed that ‘I don’t eat ice cream. It’s something to do with being straight.’ I honestly couldn’t believe what I was watching – and it’s now become a widely circulated clip on the internet (I wouldn’t actually watch a motoring show). Maybe the whole thing is soured by the fact that I used to like him before the casual homophobia thing, and that I’d never seen him as somewhat of a homophobe. He then went on to say ‘[t]here’s nothing wrong with it, but a grown man eating an ice cream – it’s that way, rather than that way.’ – Indeed, too homophobic to even say the word gay.

‘It’s not that deep’ – I hear you cry: but oh, it is.

I just don’t buy the thing that it was apparently a ‘joke’ and that it was to attack the supposed stereotype of manly men that watch motoring programmes (contrary to popular belief, gay people can watch these programmes too). Given that one of the Stonewall charity’s chief aims in recent history has been to stamp out the use of ‘gay’ as a derogatory insult, doesn’t this mean that we seem to be moving back in time? ‘It’s not that deep’ – I hear you cry: but oh, it is. It’s so important to challenge these microagressions that gay people suffer regularly, at every possible opportunity. This goes a long way to try and stamp out ‘real’ discrimination that also happens every day across the world. If we don’t want children in schools to say these kinds of things, then we simply can’t have popular people on TV saying these things. Especially in a time where the views of discriminatory people like Donald Trump and Nigel Farage appear seemingly non-stop on our screens, it’s important to have a voice that says the opposite. How would you feel if you were a closeted young person scared to come out to their family?

Let’s make 2017 the year when we’re nice to each other.

First Year Studying English and Spanish.