Home News Sustainability events to hit campus this March

Sustainability events to hit campus this March

The Students’ Green Unit has planned two events focusing on students making a positive impact on the world before the end of term.

Fairtrade Fortnight will run from 27 February to 10 March, followed by Go Green Week from 13 to 17 March.

The Green Unit is taking part in Fairtrade Fortnight to promote Fairtrade produce on campus. Fairtrade is a global model that provides a fair deal for farmers and supports and creates community development projects. Exeter has been a Fairtrade University for nearly 10 years (Fairtrade status was first awarded to Exeter in 2007), meaning that it is committed to stocking as many Fairtrade products as possible in Guild and university shops and outlets. For example, all tea and coffee sold at Guild and university outlets is Fairtrade. Additionally, they are committed to holding Fairtrade events and campaigns, such as Fairtrade Fortnight.

The Green Unit has planned promotions on Fairtrade produce, including on chocolate. March 10 should be the biggest day of events, with the visit of Ghanaian cocoa farmers, as well as a Fairtrade fair, “a chocolatey surprise” and a raffle.

Go Green week will run from the 13 to the 17 of March and will be based on Streatham campus. It is organised by the Students’ Green Unit and the Guild Sustainability Council.

Go Green Week’s aims are to inform students about environmental issues, the Guild’s sustainability project, and to let student voices be heard.

“Now more than ever, it’s so important to know about the environmental issues that face us today. Go Green Week … presents us students with possible solutions to some of these challenges”, according to Luciana Edwards at the Students’ Green Unit.

The week will see activities including a nature walk around campus, a clothes swap in conjunction with Fashion Society, talks, documentaries, debates, and stalls in the Forum. Previous editions have seen activities organised in collaboration with societies such as Slow Food on Campus, Xpression FM, and Vegetarian Society.

Information about Go Green Week will soon appear on the Students’ Guild website and the SGU Facebook page.