Nestled between Ask Italian and St Martin’s Church in central Exeter, Tea on the Green is a local culinary classic. In the summer months, you can enjoy breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea sat outside in the sunshine admiring Exeter’s impressive Cathedral or, if it’s slightly chillier, there is plenty of space inside in the cosy two-floored tea room, complete with quirky décor and stunning window views.

I challenge anyone to find a better deal

Following the devastation of the fire that destroyed the Royal Clarence Hotel last October, just across from Tea on the Green, it’s easy to understand how business has suffered for the local tea room. After being forced to close for three weeks while safety was restored to the area, the café now has a new neighbour in the form of a rather strapping orange digger. The quality of its food and service, however, has remained strong, so I took a little trip to Exeter’s favourite tea room to remind myself just why Tea on the Green is so well-loved.

After much deliberation (the breakfast menu is seriously extensive), both my friend and I went for the classic full English, complete with sausage, bacon (in her case, at least – I’m veggie), eggs, baked beans, griddled tomato, hash brown, mushrooms and toast. I’ve had my fair share of fry-ups in the past and let me tell you – this one is pretty darn great. If you’re not in the mood for breakfast food, the menu also covers a range of snacks, lunch, afternoon tea and a wonderful array of locally baked cakes. I’ve been lucky enough to experience the cream tea on more than one occasion and there really isn’t anything much better than enjoying scones and a good pot of tea overlooking the Cathedral.

@rocknfro
@rocknfro

Tea on the Green has clearly considered the demand for vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options; I was particularly impressed by the choice of Linda McCartney sausages, which any self-respecting vegetarian knows to be the king of all veggie sausages. The café also has a range of gluten-free items and a couple of vegan options too, such as the Lebanese panini, mixed seasonal salad or roast butternut squash wrap.

In addition, the café has a unique affinity to locally sourced produce. All the meats and eggs used are free-range and locally produced, while much of the fresh produce and cheeses are also sourced locally. Even most of the drinks are from the West Country, with the beer, lager and cider all made in Devon and Cornwall and some wines even from Exeter itself. The business also donates 1% of their profits to Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), an international humanitarian organization. Let’s face it, good food is always going to be the most important factor for hungry students like ourselves, but at Tea on the Green you can enjoy their extensive, high quality menu safe in the knowledge that your custom is also supporting local produce.

@ritacaldeiraguimaraes

As if you didn’t need another reason to check out Tea on the Green, they’re currently operating a deal in which, on weekdays between 8am-10am and 4pm-6pm, customers can receive 90% off the breakfast menu if they sit outside. I challenge anyone to find a better deal, so wrap up warm and head on down to enjoy your morning fry-up for less than a pound.

Tea on the Green is located next to the Cathedral Green and is open 8am-6pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am-5pm on Sundays and bank holidays.

Contact

2 Cathedral Close

07426 203862

green.tea@zen.co.uk

teaonthegreen.com

Lifestyle Editor and avid fan of food, travel, films and the theatre. Can often be found obsessing over Harry Potter and avocados (probably not at the same time).