Image: The University of Exeter

Exeter City Council Planning Committee voted in favour of the University’s new accommodation plans for East Park after a meeting on Monday 24th April. In revision of the previous plans the University has reduced the site by 18% as well reducing the size of the blocks, allowing planners to finally approve the development.
Appropriately named East Park, the site is currently an arable field on the east of campus, lying near Pennsylvania Road. This new accommodation plans to have space for 1200 students, which will be a significant aid to the University’s growing numbers. The planning proposal highlighted the significant and very generous ratio of building footprint to landscape” and notes there will be a café onsite, implying this new accommodation will soon be a favourite with students.

Not all Councillors were in favour of the development, Councillor Percy Prowse said “which route will 1,200 students will take to the city? I’m not sure uni has anything to deal with that in terms of noise complaints… I won’t be voting for this. Not because it’s the elections, but because so many of the objections are valid.” Councillor Emma Morse also stated “I never had an issue with student accommodation on site but instead with the scale. Given things I’ve complained about, and consultation, no matter how little there has been and I know not as much as you’ve wanted, but university has listened in this case”. In reference to Katie Hopkins racist tweets regarding the planning application Councillor Emma Morse stated “I am aware of a social media campaign that puts a whole different edge on this, but I won’t go into that.”

For those interested in the planning application read the full document at: http://committees.exeter.gov.uk/documents/s57566/16%201232%2001%20East%20Park%20University%20of%20Exeter%20final.pdf