Home Music Album Review: The Amazons – The Amazons

Album Review: The Amazons – The Amazons

Shortlisted for the BBC Music Sound of 2017 poll, nominated for Q’s Best Breakthrough Act gong and listed as one to watch out for in 2017 by MTV, BBC Radio 1 and the NME, Reading rockers The Amazons have quickly risen to the top since their formation in 2014. With the support of music press and presenters alike, it’s likely the group will follow in the footsteps of Blossoms in their soaring success story which leads them to the release of their eponymous debut.

The album artwork says a lot for the tone of the group’s music, which sees their previous tour bus aflame amidst a suburban backdrop, which certainly can’t be dismissed as anything less than contemporary rock ‘n’ roll. The ringing bass note which introduces opening track ‘Stay With Me’, before launching into a forceful riff refuses to hold back on a song which has hints of The Libertines and Catfish and the Bottlemen weaved in.

Following on the sturdy introduction which hooks the listener to sticking with the group, ‘Burn My Eyes’ follows suit in moulding the group’s footstep on the genre; something which will no doubt be evident through performances from the group in the upcoming festival season and their Autumn tour. ‘In My Mind’ kicks off by catapulting straight into crunching Royal Blood-esque riffs and keeping up the tone created from its predecessor tracks.

First single ‘Junk Food Forever’ is up next, with vocalist Matt Thompson passionately declaring his dissatisfaction at being single, a track undoubtedly relished by fans when performed live. In comparison with the single, ‘Raindrops’ takes a somewhat calmer approach in sound for the band as the album reaches its halfway mark, yet stays with the theme of loneliness over layered instrumentals throughout.

…arguably the jewel in the album’s crown and a likely candidate for encores in the setlists of the group’s tour dates 

Subsequent second single and former track of the week of Radio X ‘Black Magic’ comes in next, arguably the jewel in the album’s crown and a likely candidate for encores in the setlists of the group’s tour dates to come, as one of the catchiest numbers on the tracklist, both lyrically and musically. The repeated simple yet infectious note sequences and smooth scales of Thompson prove the press anticipation of The Amazons.

‘Ultraviolet’ keeps up the foot-tapping pace and boasts and effortless chorus on a track which again showcases the group’s love for ‘anthemic hard rock’. Followed by ‘Little Something’ which is, by no means, little, although shows a strong passion for a romantic interest of the protagonist in the lyrics. ‘Holy Roller’ is another slightly softer piece, starting off almost acoustically compared to the rest of the songs on The Amazons.

Penultimate ‘Something in the Water’ shows no signs of the group slowing down, as another energy-fuelled rock number with show-stopping riffs likely to cause a stir on tour. The gentler, piano-accompanied album closer ‘Palace’ is another emotive piece, this time stripped back to reveal signs of vulnerability in Thompson. However, the group’s disposition is anything but vulnerable; a band whose whirlwind nationwide music scene takeover has only just begun.