Image: University of Exeter

This summer paves the path for much reconstruction and reorganisation of the university.

There are plans to reorganise Streatham’s student information points and hubs throughout campus. September will see the opening of new information hubs in Harrsion, Washington Singer and Peter Chalk later in March.

The developments will be information points with nearby study and catering facilities. These hubs aim to improve access for student support, particularly in regards to wellbeing and careers. In respects to this each information point will strive to offer careers advice and wellbeing workshops. The new developments also aim to help fulfil the constant student demand for more study space and catering facilities across campus.

Image: University of Exeter

According to the university the developments at Peter Chalk will include a drop in careers advice service from 11am to 2pm, as well as wellbeing workshops. Three seminarrooms will be repositioned in order to make space for 105 new study spaces, as well as a new café and self-service catering facilities. These aim to create a sense of community for all those students who use Peter Chalk.

Info at Harrison will mirror these developments at Peter Chalk, including a drop in careers advice service and wellbeing workshops. The refurbishment will create a 50+ seater informal study space, a ‘grab and go’ café, two meeting rooms and an extended discipline office.

Similarly, Washington Singer plans to create space for 15 new study seats, creating a social area equipped with self-catering. There is currently a competition to ‘name the space’ at Washington Singer, so any psychology students and regular users of the building have the chance to truly personalise their new development

In regards to the developments a University of Exeter spokesman commented:

“We constantly work to update learning spaces for students to ensure they meet their needs. During the summer building work will start in Harrison, Peter Chalk and Washington Singer to create more areas for students to eat, socialise, study and find support.

“In Harrison next term there will be a new 55 seat informal study space with a ‘grab and go’ café, self-service catering facilities and two meeting rooms in the inner courtyard. This will create a new heart for the building where academics and students can meet.

“Building work will also begin in Peter Chalk to create a new study space with over 100 seats. Self-service catering facilities will be added to the existing café. There will be a new information point and two meeting rooms, as well as a refreshed physics reception area, corridor and basement. This work is scheduled to be completed by April 2018.

“By September there will be an additional 15 new study spaces and self-service catering facilities, including a microwave and hot and cold water, in Washington Singer.

Plans are underway to create a similar space in the Amory building which will be available for use at by September 2018.

The design of these spaces has been through project teams of students, academics and Professional service staff to ensure they meet the needs of those who will be using and working within these spaces. We would like to thank the Guild for their support for the project which has been invaluable.

“A number of projects are also taking place throughout the summer to enhance the learning spaces across the Streatham and St Luke’s campuses, from enhanced furniture to new audiovisual systems. Some of the buildings receiving these upgrades include the Queens lecture theatres, IAIS seminar rooms, Amory seminar rooms, some Amory lecture theatres and Baring Court and North Cloisters in St Luke’s.”

Work on Harrsion, Washington Singer and Peter Chalk are scheduled to begin in June and last until the end of August.

Online News Editor who runs predominantly on coffee and croissants.