The University will be hosting a debate between Amatey Doku, NUS Vice President, and Exeter Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Steve Smith. The two will debate the new Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and tuition fees.

A new government developed scheme, the TEF was published earlier this year and aims to provide information to help prospective students choose where to study by grading the excellence of teaching.

The University of Exeter achieved a Gold Award along with the likes of the University of Cambridge, the University of Bath and the University of Oxford. However, many leading universities were disappointed with the results with the University of Durham and UCL achieving Silver status and LSE receiving a Bronze award. Out of the 21 Russell Group universities only eight achieved gold. The controversial nature of these results has caused much discussion over the utility of the scheme.

The introduction of TEF has also caused concern as the government indicated that those universities with a TEF award will be able to increase their tuition fees in line with inflation.

Whilst a date has not yet been released the subjects of discussion promise an interesting and relevant event for Exeter students.

Online News Editor who runs predominantly on coffee and croissants.