Home News Guild Elections Profiles: NUS National Conference

Guild Elections Profiles: NUS National Conference

Jess Bowyer

I’m a first year PhD student in Education at St Luke’s. I grew up in Devon so I’m happy to finally be back in Exeter after a few years away. Above all, I’m committed to the good fight: feminism, free education and equality!

What would make you a good delegate? I believe that the NUS should be more accessible, transparent and engaging for Exeter students. I want to ensure that students know what’s going on and feel represented by the NUS, so I’d consult the student body before voting at Conference, and keep everyone updated about key motions and campaigns.

What is the most important function of NUS? The NUS is so often accused of being out of touch but I think it can be a really important force for change in student politics. So many people in NUS do really important work – from the liberation campaigns which provide invaluable support for women, LGBT+ and international students, to campaigns for better quality accommodation and free education. For me, NUS’s most important function is its ability to represent the voices of students from all different backgrounds and political views, offering real representation on issues that matter to us all. It’s cheesy but it’s true: we’re better and stronger together!

If you could introduce one motion to NUS National Conference, what would it be? Ah there are so many! I want to see the NUS support our sisters in NI and Ireland who have to travel to access abortion; I want to see postgraduate students who teach have secure and better paid contracts; and I want the NUS to pressure universities to provide better-funded welfare services for the ongoing mental health crisis. If I had to pick one though, it would be free education: the current system is unsustainable. Most of us will never pay off our student loans. Worse still, students from the most vulnerable backgrounds graduate with more debt than our peers. With Labour offering to abolish tuition fees, free education is no longer a pipedream and is increasingly likely: the NUS should be at the forefront of this fight to ensure the best outcomes for current and future students.

Check out Jess’ manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8307/

Reece Fitzgerald

Exeposé reached out to Reece for comment, but has yet to receive a response.

Check out Reece’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8331/

Peter Gillibrand

My name is Pete and I’m a Postgraduate Economics student, previously studying PPE. I am a very lively and confident person who does many extra curricular things at university, such as previous president of RAG, Welsh Soc and publicity sec of EURFC. I am very active in raising money for charities associated with disabilities and I am very passionate about everything.

What would make you a good delegate? I believe that I’d make a good delegate because of my communication skills as well as my public speaking ability. I am confident in what I am saying and I love representing people through my passion and ability. I also follow student issues very closely and am very prominent within student issues on campus.

What is the most important function of NUS? I come from a family where one Grandad was a coal miner, and the other was a trade union leader. The NUS is a Union for Students and what they do it promote and help us. This is the most important function; From passing motions that help disabled people to passing motions to help stop the rising tuition fees, despite their negative press – They represent us, the students of the UK.

If you could introduce one motion to NUS National Conference, what would it be? If I were to introduce one motion, it would be to even better support disabled students. We, as a society, have come very far in the promotion of disabled people, but there is more to do. I don’t believe there are enough provisions on campus’ across the country to aid those with a hidden and un-hidden disability. The main issue is to support them into university and then transition into the next step – especially if you’re autistic, it is very hard to get used to a new scenario from my experience.

Check out Peter’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8304/

Becca Hanley

Hi! I’m your current Vice President Activities and recent Maths graduate. I’ve been involved with loads throughout my time at Exeter, being in societies from ExTunes to Xmedia, an SSLC rep as well as Societies Officer.

What would make you a good delegate? I’m already representing Exeter students in all things activities, from volunteering and fundraising to employability so I have the necessary skills to represent your views at national level. I’m also involved in the NUS already having been to Lead & Change conference and being involved in the Union Development Zone.

What is the most important function of NUS? To represent students on a national level and campaign for student rights.

If you could introduce one motion to NUS National Conference, what would it be? It’s not just up to me. As your delegate, I’d find out what motions are important to our current student body and then bring about change accordingly.

Check out Becca’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8306/

Kat Karamani

I’m Kat and I’m your VP Welfare & Diversity! Lover of Ultimate Frisbee, running, long country walks, Arena (Unit 1), Firehouse and representing students, of course.

What would make you a good delegate? I’m an enthusiastic, keen, engaged and approachable person who wants to better not just your experience of uni but everyone’s in the UK. I will listen to YOUR thoughts and feed it back to make real change.

What is the most important function of NUS? To change the way that University works for all and to represent students by driving change in the very roots of society.

If you could introduce one motion to NUS National Conference, what would it be? To change the way that University works for all and to represent students by driving change in the very roots of society.

Check out Kat’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8328/

Bryony Loveless

I am the Vice-President (Education) of Exeter Students’ Guild and recent graduate of Theology with Proficiency in Arabic. I loved my degree (did I ever mention that?) and am passionate about ensuring students get the most out of theirs. I represent all students in matters relating to their education at university.

What would make you a good delegate? I have learnt so much in this role, and been involved in the NUS from the very beginning of my time in office. I have the knowledge, networks and experience to get our voice heard on a national level.

What is the most important function of NUS? To represent its members across Higher Education and Further Education at a national level.

If you could introduce one motion to NUS National Conference, what would it be? Given the new government proposals around tuition fees and loan payback, what purpose does the Teaching Excellence Framework have for the future and is boycotting the National Student Survey now a sufficient response?

Check out Bryony’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8303/

Jack Morewood

I’m a second year maths student, vice-president of PhotoSoc and live in Plymouth.

What would make you a good delegate? I’m the only candidate that will pressure the NUS to be non-partisan, inclusive and truly representative. I don’t see a far-left echo chamber as representative of us. I’ll fight the identity politics and screeching about irrelevant issues, and fight for an NUS that acts in Exeter’s interests instead.

What is the most important function of NUS? It has to be supporting every student. The NUS could each of us in a small way if it made the effort. There’s always more that can be done, but it chooses not to and it does so because most delegates don’t scrutinize it properly. I will.

If you could introduce one motion to NUS National Conference, what would it be? Eliminating gender quotas. The policy demeans women and is grossly unfair to male candidates who may receive more votes than other candidates but be turned down as happened here in February. Forcing women to make up at least half of the delegation masks true under-representation and is simply tokenism.

Check out Jack’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8302/

Malaka Shwaikh

Exeposé reached out to Malaka for comment, but has yet to receive a response.

Check out Malaka’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8300/

Cathryn Stocker

Exeposé reached out to Cathryn for comment, but has yet to receive a response.

Check out Cathryn’s manifesto here: https://www.exeterguild.org/altelections/manifesto/8299/

Voting is open for NUS delegates, Shadow Council and more until midnight on Thursday. For more information, head to www.exeterguild.org/change/elections .