Home Music Preview: Liam Fray @ Bristol Thekla

Preview: Liam Fray @ Bristol Thekla

To make things clear, playing to 50,000 people at Emirates Old Trafford is pretty impressive. Having performed at the enormous venue earlier this summer, The Courteeners’ frontman, Liam Fray, is now stripping things back a bit and going it solo for a sixteen-day acoustic tour. It’s no surprise that these shows were just as popular as the band’s with each show being a sell-out on what was originally intended as a thirteen-day tour, but has been extended to a sixteen-day run. Even with additional locations being added and venues being rearranged to accommodate such high demand, the tour promises to be toned down and real easy-going.

No stranger to impressing the crowd, Fray suggest fans shouldn’t expect much of a professional gig but, they should instead enjoy a stripped back evening of acoustic music in which we can’t imagine Fray is likely to take himself too seriously. The evening itself will be an opportunity for the leading man to just play music in a casual environment. Claiming “none of the sets are going to be the same” the crowd can look forward to a one off concert, where smaller venues will help create an intimate and more personal performance.

the perfect venue to hold a gig like this one

This Monday, Fray will be playing a sold-out show at Bristol’s quirky, indie venue, Thekla, and just in case you didn’t know it already, it’s a small moored boat converted into a music venue with only a few hundred capacity. It’s the perfect venue to hold a gig like this one, where the boundaries between crowd and singer are going to be less formal. In a venue that makes for a sweet alternative to your standard hall, along with music that hopes to entertain fans are in for an evening where it’s all about the music. Those lucky enough to get a ticket can undoubtedly expect some classic Courteneers, yet, the evening is more likely to give Fray a chance to play some of the more unheard of B-side tracks giving the fans a chance to enjoy the band’s music on a different level.

Although the gig is predominately popular because of it’s main act, make sure you head down early, grab a drink and catch rock and roll support band Carnival Club. Supporting Fray as part of their first UK tour, the Manchester born four-piece are a rock band that praise themselves on bringing back youth to the world of rock and roll and from what I’ve heard so far they’re bound to impress.