Home Comment Christmas and the Student: An Unrequited Love

Christmas and the Student: An Unrequited Love

As I scroll through the likes of ASOS, and walk past the beautiful John Lewis store fronts, picturing all the lovely gifts I could buy, I think to myself, ‘why doesn’t Christmas love me like I love it?’.

Christmas and a student’s bank balance simply cannot work together. A time so special, a time to show your loved ones how much you care with gifts and precious quality time together. However, for the student, the latter is the only thing we can really offer, and then only of course if we’re going somewhere for free. We live for the ‘movie night’ life, since a trip to Winter Wonderland is a luxury we simply cannot afford, even though dipping into your overdraft for it becomes a real consideration.

As a student, you have to really invest in the idea of ‘it’s the thought that counts’ instead of the monetary value of things

Christmas is a temptress, luring us in with it’s boxing day sales and adorable Christmas markets. Let alone the events that occur on our very own campus, the iconic Christmas Balls, for £35 a ticket! As a Exeter Christmas Ball first-timer, I don’t know what to expect. At the very least I’d hope to get a good amount of pigs in blankets and a Buble soundtrack!

As a student, you have to really invest in the idea of ‘it’s the thought that counts’ instead of the monetary value of things. At this point, I’ll be offering my friends a hug and a promise to huddle around my laptop to watch Elf together. Personally, I’m more of a birthday person when it comes to gifts. I always make sure people have the best birthdays possible. Why am I spending £30 on a mate when it’s not even their birthday but Jesus’s? And when Jesus was actually born in Summer?!

All in all, students must accept that Christmas just doesn’t feel the same way about us that we do it. Divulge in the little things; get tinsel from Poundland, bake your friends and family cookies and other little treats, and wait till you’re old enough with a less fragile bank balance for a more serious, requited relationship with Christmas.