Home News Medical School secures government funding for 88 additional students

Medical School secures government funding for 88 additional students

230

The University of Exeter has secured government funding to enable it to train an additional 88 Medicine undergraduate students, taking the total number of students from 130 to 218.

This comes after a consultation and competitive bid process which saw 2,400 applications for 1,000 new medical training places across England. Exeter was awarded 73 students to start in September 2019, on top of 15 extra starting in September 2018 in a previously announced allocation. Exeter is one of 12 medical schools to have received additional numbers in allocations for both academic years.

Exeter was awarded 73 students to start in September 2019, on top of 15 extra starting in September 2018.

Professor Clive Ballard, Executive Dean and Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University of Exeter Medical School, said: “This announcement will mean a boost in both students and staff in our Exeter and Truro locations. It’s great news for the Medical School and for the South West and it’s an endorsement of all our staff.”

Professor Sir Steve Smith, Vice Chancellor of the University of Exeter, said: “This increase is a fantastic endorsement of our Medical School. Exeter is still a relatively new school, with our first Medicine students graduating this Summer. The Medical School is going from strength to strength and this announcement will support our ongoing growth and development.”