Home News Indian national students receive fake Home Office phone calls

Indian national students receive fake Home Office phone calls

Several Indian national Exeter students have received phone calls of a disturbing nature, that claim to be from the Home Office, or from other governmental and visa-related organisations. These phone calls often demand money, threatening deportation in the case of non-compliance.

Students have been informed to ignore any phone calls or emails claiming to be from the Home Office, with a Student Support Officer email sent to Indian students explaining that “This is not a genuine phone call even if the telephone number shows as from the Home Office”. Students have been further warned “not give them any personal details and hang up immediately. The Home Office will never call you in these situations and never ask for money.”

“Students have been informed to ignore any phone calls or emails claiming to be from the Home Office”

Exeter Students Guild President Shades also tweeted out a warning that callers often have some personal details of the students, and threaten deportation if the student does not comply with the financial demand immediately. Indian national students have also been recommended, in the aforementioned email as well as by Shades on Twitter, to report such calls and numbers to Action Fraud.

Concerned students who have received calls and wish to check their immigration status are advised to speak to the International Student Support Office in the Forum, or at Penryn Info Point, who will be able to direct them with regards to checking their visa status. As of the time of writing, only cases from Indian national students have been reported. Although the motive behind these calls is currently unknown, this comes only weeks after five students from BLS were suspended for Whatsapp messages, many of a racist nature.