Poltimore Festival is a music and arts festival taking place on May 27th, located just outside Exeter in the striking setting of Poltimore House. Once an absolutely stunning country house, it is now unfortunately in desperate need of renovation, and so profits from the festival go to its aid. The festival makes full use of the space, with its Courtyard Stage set up within the building’s actual courtyard, and the Garden Stage outside, overlooking the extensive grounds.

The Courtyard Stage is a very intimate stage with a peculiar feeling of being both inside and outside. This space creates a really interesting acoustic which is perfect for quieter acts, leaving space for the stage’s varied line up to shine. There will be acoustic sets from singer-songwriter Leah Tess, up-and-coming Devon artist Sadie Horler, sister duo Home Comforts, and Daisy Vaughan, who has played sets at festivals such as Latitude and End of the Road. The space also caters for more expansive sounds, for example, electronic-based duo Delmer Darion, who will be playing Poltimore for their third consecutive year, and Arthr, who combines electronica fused with video content, which will be an exciting sight to behold. There’s also cool lo-fi hip hop on its way from Louis J Walker and the lovely synth and guitar-based sound of indie artist Peacock Affect.

a peculiar feeling of being both inside and outside

This line up is only made more exciting by its location within the house, just seconds away from the fantastic art gallery and secret cinema, set to be screening projects based around promoting women in film, showcasing female directing, screenwriting, camerawork and acting. Heading outside there are even more exciting discoveries – a program of theatre taking place in the Chapel, spoken word poetry performed in the woods, and all kinds of activities including yoga, meditation, meeting guide dogs, slacklining and a bouncy castle in the garden.

The garden also contains a second music stage, The Garden Stage, which is bigger with room for fuller bands, which will be covered by a range of genres across the day. There will be a performance from Exeter University Soul Choir, as well as last year’s Battle of the Bands winners Psychopomp, who also played on the Courtyard Stage last year. The stage will also host the stunning Clara Bond, who has been nominated for Female Vocalist of the Year at the British Country Music Awards, and rapper Ciaran Austin and his band the Cantaloupe Island, who have been singled out on BBC Introducing in Devon and BBC 6Music. The Martyn Crocker Band will bring music from the realm of rock, while Tors, fresh from a sold-out UK tour, will provide indie-folk, and Exeter-based Pattern Pusher’s music is indie with electronic undertones. The headliners, Flyte, are a very exciting alternative-pop band from London who’ve had support from Radio 1, XFM, BBC 6Music and have toured with both The Lemon Twigs and Bombay Bicycle Club.

There’s going to be something for everyone at Poltimore 2018, whether you’re looking for art, music, theatre, film, poetry, or even just a nice day out in the sun with some tasty food and drink. To see more of the lineup, check out their Poltimore 2018 playlist on Spotify – tickets are available now, and definitely worth snapping up as soon as possible!