Home News Student television conference success on-campus

Student television conference success on-campus

253
Image credit: Ronald Liong
The Great Hall during the awards. Image credit: Ronald Liong

The National Student Television Association’s (NaSTA) annual conference and awards were held on-campus this weekend.

Exeter University’s student television station, XTV, hosted the event, having been elected to do so at last year’s conference.

The event, beginning on Friday, saw over 400 delegates from around 40 student stations across the UK arrive in Exeter. The conference opened with NaSTA’s annual general meeting and a welcome party for delegates.

On Saturday, delegates took part in a filmmaking exercise called ‘The Golden Bodge’ and television-related workshops.

The awards ceremony was held on Saturday evening and marked the 40th anniversary of the NaSTA awards. It was hosted by Glynn Jones and former XTV station manager, Dan John. Their lively presenting had them interacting with the audience and singing a song that claimed “students make the best telly”.

XTV submitted entries for all 22 awards categories except Fresher’s coverage and had 10 entries shortlisted. The station won four accolades at the 2012 NaSTA conference in Nottingham. XTV superseded this previous year’s achievement by winning five awards on Saturday:

• Award for Best Title Sequence
  • Highly Commended Best Animation
  • Highly Commended Best Ident
  • Highly Commended Best On-Screen Female (Tini Papatheodorou)
  • Highly Commended Tim Marshall Award for Special Recognition.

XTV live broadcast the event to the internet and to on-stage screens. The stream was viewed internationally by around 500 viewers with over 1000 individual viewers across the broadcast.

The conference utilised Exeter’s campus throughout the weekend with delegates staying in Holland Hall. The Ram hosted the welcome party and workshops were held in the Alumni Auditorium and the Forum seminar rooms.

There has been much praise for the event. Exeter’s Student Guild President, Nick Davies tweeted: “I have never been so proud to be from Exeter than I have tonight. @XTVonline have shown that we really do have the best of the best”. However, some bemoaned the length of the AGM with Warwick University’s station, Warwick TV, tweeting: “Which of the differing levels of infinity will this agm last for? #NaSTA40”.

Staffordshire University’s STAFFS TV were elected as next year’s NaSTA conference hosts. Incoming XTV station manager, Alice Nicholson, said: “I have a feeling they’ve got a lot to live up to. Best of luck to them.”

Olivia Luder, Site Manager