Exeter ranks higher in league tables

Exeter ranks higher in league tables

166
Image credit: The Telegraph
Image credit: The Telegraph

The University of Exeter has been ranked two places higher than it was last year in this year’s merged The Times and The Sunday Times university league tables. The university currently sits in eighth place, up from tenth last year, having overtaken both University College London and the University of Warwick. It has also risen the same two places in The Times’ independent league table, from tenth to eighth place. This follows on from its receipt of the University of the Year Award from The Sunday Times in 2013.

The University’s rankings have improved dramatically in recent years; Exeter was ranked 34th by The Times in 2005.

Cambridge has overtaken Oxford to take the number one spot in the table this year. Birmingham was named the Sunday Times’ University of the Year for 2014.

The University of Exeter cites this award as one of the reasons why applications were 19 per cent higher in September 2013 than 2012, with this also being attributed to the university’s entrance into the Russell Group last year.

Students’ Guild president Hannah Barton commented: “I am delighted to see the University of Exeter rise in The Times and Sunday Times league table. Having joined the Russell Group last year, this is further recognition of the quality of the Exeter experience offered by the University and the Students’ Guild. I hope to see the University maintain and even improve this ranking in the coming years.”

James McDonald, a postgraduate student new to Exeter, said that “the university’s reputation was a major factor in me applying for a place and the fact that it has increased has made it even better for me to be here.”

Exeter has also remained in the top ten for both The Independent and The Sunday Times, sitting in 10th place in The Complete University Guide and 8th place in the Sunday Times’ own league table.

A third year English student told Exeposé: “with my own graduate employment imminent, it’s reassuring to know that the university has maintained and improved its position as a respected institution.”

Zoey Jones, News Team