Home Sport BUCS: Tennis Women’s 3rds survive trip to Aberystwyth

BUCS: Tennis Women’s 3rds survive trip to Aberystwyth

265
Photo: Josie Vickers
Photo: Josie Vickers

The Exeter Women’s 3rds completed a 12-0 whitewash on Wednesday in the freezing cold of Aberystwyth in Wales.

Unusually, the girls journey started on Tuesday afternoon. The team picked up their rather deluxe hired vehicle and began the extremely long drive to the deep depths of Wales. With Christmas songs on full volume, Natalie took to the car like a duck to water and whizzed up the M5.

After nearly four hours of driving a Burger King was at last on the cards; four chicken royale meals were ordered (a top quality pre match dinner). Natalie was then back at the wheel, fantastically navigating the very tricky and twisty Welsh roads, and finally arriving at an incredibly luxurious B&B – which turned out to be an entire house with a tasty breakfast included.

After a very comfortable sleep, the girls were up and ready to face all that Aberystwyth could throw at them. All four girls played their singles first, with Nami Urata and Natalie Hatton finishing within a blink of an eye and sealing two fabulous wins, dropping only a game between them.

Captain Josie Vickers was next to finish, polishing off her opponent 6-1, 6-2. Ciara Svensen fought a much tougher match with a high class opponent – with support from her fellow Exeter team, even after being 6-1 down in the third set tiebreak she managed to clinch a great 10-8 win.

The girls went confidently into the doubles with 8 points already in the bag, but knowing concentration was going to be a key factor in the next to matches. Vickers and Urata took on Aberystwyth’s first pair, and despite their close to freezing hands, the girls kept their focus and won 6-0 6-0, meaning Nami kept a completely clean sheet for both matches – a quite impressive feet. Meanwhile, Ciara and Natalie were destroying their opponents with crosses and smashes occurring very regularly, finishing off the day with another win, 6-2 6-1.

After blearing some celebratory tunes including One Direction and Katy Perry, the girls began their treacherous journey back to the life and soul that is Exeter.

Josie Vickers