Playlist: Have Yourself An Very Indie Christmas

1560

Are you tired of the old Christmas songs sounding like a broken record? Do you think Wham’s Last Christmas is as dead as the cold turkey?

Exeposé Music brings you a definitive playlist to spice up Xmas proceedings.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs kick off in style with a heavy cover of one of the most popular songs at this time of year.

Thom Yorke, recently voted Exeter’s favourite alumnus, isn’t a name you would associate with festive frolics. But he delivers a warming rendition of this Christmas classic.

American alternative band Jimmy Eat World rock around the christmas tree with a cover of an xmas staple.

Lindsey Buckingham’s ‘Holiday Road’ gets The Walkmen treatment. A tune to get you off that sofa and shuffling in your brand new slippers.

Perhaps the most obvious title of the bunch, Weezer deliver a heavy track true to their roots. We wish all Weezer songs were soaked in this much melancholy grunge.

Not one for the grandparents, Eazy E reimagines the Christmas narrative with characteristic old school barbarity.

Run DMC pick up from where Eazy E left off with an x-rated xmas banger.

A change in tone as Badly Drawn Boy delivers a modern pop classic full of optimism and Christmas cheer.

Sufjan Stevens produce a delightful pithy track crying out  for a happy family sing-along session.

The Flaming Lips complete our festive playlist with a weird and wonderful xmas track full of whimsy and psychedelic feeling.

Ben Clarke, Online Music Editor

The music section of Exeter's independent student newspaper.