Home News Prohibition Ball sells out

Prohibition Ball sells out

264
Image credit: RAG Exeter
Image credit: RAG Exeter

Tickets for the official replacement for the Safer Sex Ball (SSB) have sold out.

The ‘Prohibition Ball,’ scheduled for next term, only had 500 tickets available at the price of £25, with 100 early bird tickets available at £20 – significantly lower than the cost of last year’s SSB.

More tickets may become available but those sold to other students are not transferrable.

The brand new event will not resemble the Safer Sex Ball, after the legendary fundraiser was cancelled earlier this year. The inaugural ‘Prohibition Ball’ will take place in Exeter Phoenix on 7 February and will act as RAG’s headline event for the academic year.

The theme, often the most anticipated and controversial part of the former SSB, will be based on prohibition in the 1920s, with a distinctly “underground” feel.

The ball will remain centred around a headliner and various performances throughout the evening, with RAG apparently keen on involving as many student societies as possible. The headliner is yet to be confirmed.

The Safer Sex Ball was cancelled by the Students’ Guild in February, following concerns around student welfare and significant negative national media coverage. Two Guild staff were fired after distributing CCTV footage of two students performing a sex act in the Ram during the ball. The ball also received accusations of racism for its tribal theme, with students and staff signing a petition to have the theme changed. Before its cancellation, the ball had been running for twenty-one years, regularly raising more than £20,000 for its chosen charities, including the Eddystone Trust, a local charity that supports AIDS sufferers.

Exeposé reported in February that RAG were concerned that the loss of such a high profile event would result in poor turnout and less money for the nominated charities. Exeposé understands that the budget for The Prohibition Ball is significantly smaller than that of the SSB.

There is no chosen charity for The Prohibition Ball. All proceeds from the event will go to RAG’s nominated charities for 2013/14: Devon Freewheelers, Rainbow’s Trust, Concern Universal and Community Action. RAG have raised £40,037.91 so far this term.

Jak Curtis-Rendall, VP Participation and Campuses, commented: “RAG has done an outstanding job so far this year, raising a phenomenal amount of money for its chosen charities. I am confident that the committee will apply their proven skills to the Prohibition Ball and turn this new event into a huge success”.

Harrison Jones, Online News Editor

Additional reporting by Jon Jenner, Editor