Home News Exeter historian documents WWII

Exeter historian documents WWII

274
Image credit: University of Exeter
Image credit: University of Exeter

An Exeter historian has collated a collection of 500 of the most interesting articles from New York Times reportage from the front line of World War Two.

Professor Richard Overy has edited The New York Times Complete World War II 1939 – 1945 with the aim of providing a new perspective on the war.

The articles offer a new take on WWII, as they include first hand accounts, major events, and little known anecdotes. The book covers major battles, including the Battles of the Bulge and Iwo Jima, as well as tales from the US home front and profiles of notable leaders, including Winston Churchill.

The book is accompanied by a CD-ROM, which contains all the articles written by The New York Times to inform their readers about everyday occurences on the Front.

Professor Overy said: The New York Times was America’s premier newspaper during World War II and the range, intelligence and literary quality of the articles is particularly impressive. The hundreds of articles I’ve chosen here give a fresh perspective on the war and remind the reader that the journalists had to try to work out what was happening in a very uncertain world, not knowing, as we now do, the eventual outcome”.

Professor Overy is the author or editor of 30 books on World War II, air power and the European dictatorships, including most recently The Bombing War: Europe 1939-1945. He won the Wolfson prize for History in 2004 and the Samuel Eliot Morison Prize from the Society for Military History in 2001. He is a Fellow of the British Academy.

Owen Keating, News Editor